Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire young adult members for the Wolf Trap and National Capital Parks East team.
Program Dates: September 3- December 21, 2018
Training Dates: Alumni SCA Leader Preferred (N/A)
The first 4 weeks the crew will be working in Wolf Trap Center for the Performing Arts. The crew will be working to restore picnic area within the park by removing old picnic tables and building new ones. The remaining 10 weeks will be spent working within the National Capitol Parks East region. The crew will be performing basic trail maintenance throughout the park. As a part of the position crew members and leader will receive chainsaw training. The crew will be responsible for clearing large trees and other debris in the park. The crew will be comprised of 5 young adult members and 1 crew leader. Specifically, the leader will:
- Act as a Crew Manager guiding crew dynamics and facilitating teamwork
- Function as a Technical Advisor assisting in training corps members to complete quality work
- Serve as a Partnership Representative managing relationships with agency partner and ensuring successful and timely completion of work projects
- Perform tasks as a Program Administrator by communicating with SCA staff, completing documentation and managing a budget
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Must have ability to legally work in the US.
- Valid driver’s license and MVR that meets SCA standards required
- Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
- Previously led with SCA or comparable leadership experience
- Current First Aid and CPR certification required by the start of training
- Experience working with youth or young adults, teaching in an educational environment a plus
- Experience with conservation work skills or related skills preferred – i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening
- Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and most occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
- Must be able to find housing in the DC metro area
Compensation: $625/week total salary, chainsaw training included
To Apply: Click Login or Sign Up. Create a profile, complete the basic application and then select Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume, and two (2) professional references. Once your application is complete, please email [email protected] with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application.
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org