SCA’s NYC Urban Tree House (UTH) provides free and memorable environmental education programs for K-12 groups of urban youth and the public. It gives youth the opportunity to have fun experiences in nature, become aware of their relationship with the environment, and participate in hands-on conservation projects outdoors.
UTH programs take place Governors Island in Manhattan. The UTH site provides a great opportunity to engage with and learn about the surrounding land and aquatic environment—particularly the NYC watershed and urban park systems. UTH seeks to teach participants about the inseparable relationship between the environment and its inhabitants.
What do we do at the Urban Tree House?
- Explore and learn about natural environments in NYC
- Use the outdoors as a classroom
- Learn through experience and service
- Empower students to know they can make a difference
- Environmental literacy
What do participants learn at UTH?
- Introduction to local environments
- Ecosystems and the web of life
- Water is life! (the water cycle, watersheds, water pollution)
- Importance and roles of native species
- Survival skills, Leave No Trace ethics, and camping 101
- Natural orientation and using maps
- Interpreting nature in art
- Healthy environment = healthy people
- Urban pollutions and urban solutions (waste/compost/recycle, energy use, noise)
- Climate change (what it is, impacts, everyday solutions)
- Individuals can make a difference in their (social and ecological) community
Who can participate?
- Youth in grades K-12 in established groups (i.e. camps, schools, youth organizations) of 10-30
- Visitor’s to Governors Island for drop-in programs on the weekends
- Groups of adults looking for facilitated education, team building or volunteer sessions
- Registration is FREE!
- Recommended donation of $10/person/hour of participation
Through environmental education, the UTH is building environmental stewardship: a sense of appreciation, responsibility and action towards protecting our natural resources. Join us for exciting education and service opportunities!
Register for the 2018 Season!!: Register Now >>
Email: [email protected]
Address: Governors Island, Nolan Park House 11, New York, NY 10004
Please visit the SCA NYC page for further information on year-round program opportunities with SCA in the NYC area. To request activities during the school year, please email [email protected]. View the updated list of scheduled programs open to the public.