SCA’s DC Urban Tree House (UTH) provides free and memorable environmental education programs for DC urban youth (K-12). It gives DC youth the opportunity to have fun experiences in nature, become aware of their relationship with the environment, and participate in hands-on conservation projects outdoors.
UTH programs take place in a green space located in Anacostia Park in Southeast Washington, DC. The UTH site provides a great opportunity to engage with and learn about the surrounding land and aquatic environment—particularly the District’s watershed and urban riparian ecosystems. UTH seeks to teach participants about the inseparable relationship between the environment and its inhabitants.
What do we do at the Urban Tree House?
- Explore and learn about natural environments in the Washington, D.C.
- Use the outdoors as a classroom
- Learn through experience and service
- Empower students to know they can make a difference
- Environmental literacy
What do students learn at UTH?
- Introduction to local environments
- Ecosystems and the web of life
- Water is life! (the water cycle, watersheds, water pollution)
- Importance and roles of native species
- Survival skills, Leave No Trace ethics, and camping 101
- Natural orientation and using maps
- Interpreting nature in art
- Healthy environment = healthy people
- Urban pollutions and urban solutions (waste/compost/recycle, energy use, noise)
- Climate change (what it is, impacts, everyday solutions)
- Individuals can make a difference in their (social and ecological) community
Who can participate?
- Students grades K-12
- Groups with 10-40 students
- Registration is FREE!
Through environmental education, the UTH is building environmental stewardship: a sense of appreciation, responsibility and action towards protecting our natural resources. Join us for exciting education and service opportunities!
Register for the 2019 Season!!: Register Now >>
Email: [email protected]
Address: 1900 Anacostia Drive SE Washington, DC 20020
Please visit the Washington, DC Oﬃce page for further information on year-round program opportunities with SCA in the Washington, D.C. Area. To request activities during the school year, please email [email protected] or call 703-542-2441 to speak with SCA staff.