The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire three young adults for the River Safety Ambassador program in Great Falls Park at George Washington Memorial National Park (GWMP) in McLean, VA. The programs focus is to walk the trails of GWMP and ensure that park visitors are recreating safely.
SCA Leader Training: June 8th-June 18th
Leader Dates: June 21st-August 27th , Wednesday-Sunday work week
- Lead team of young adults through projects designed to build awareness to the dangers of recreating near the Potomac River.
- Responsible for daily management and supervision of a team of three young adults.
- Manage team safety and development and work project completion.
- Leader is responsible for managing work outcomes and crew dynamics.
- Facilitate team operations: food planning, tools & equipment, work schedule, and vehicles.
- Manage budget and necessary purchasing for crew and project.
- Manage project/member risk to maintain a safe work environment.
- Work collaboratively with agency on program logistics.
- Ensure successful completion of work project.
- Ensure compliance of SCA Risk Management policies/procedures.
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Must be willing to work weekends, schedule will likely be Wednesday - Sunday
- Must have ability to legally work in the US
- Current First Aid certification & CPR required by the start of the training
- Experience working with young adults (18-25), teaching in an educational environment preferred
- Experience with visitor outreach at parks preferred
- Experience with conservation work skills or related skills, preferred i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening
- Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and must occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
- Valid driver’s license and MVR that meets SCA standards required
- Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
- Must have personal housing arrangements in program city
Compensation: $600 per work week and a paid Project Leader Training, and an SCA vehicle for work related activities and commuting.
To Apply: Click Login or Sign Up. Create a profile, complete the basic application and then select the Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume & 3 references. Once your application is complete, please email [email protected] with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application.
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org