Applying for Youth Programs
Visit the Youth Programs page to learn about all of the opportunities for high school youth to serve with SCA.
Who is eligible?
To be considered for SCA’s Youth programs you must be:
- 15 to 19 years old on the start date of the program
- A current high school student, including seniors who graduate the spring immediately before the program
- Visit our program pages for additional requirements for specific youth programs
Strong candidates demonstrate:
- Leadership skills and/or responsibility
- Participation with extracurricular groups or volunteer organizations
- Social and group skills
- Experience and/or interest in spending time outdoors
- Interest in ecology or environmental topics
- Comfort level spending extended time away from home (National and Regional Crews only)
The SCA application has been updated!
Here’s what you need to know:
- Making changes and updates to your application should be quicker and easier with the newly formatted, mobile-friendly user interface.
- The information from your old application has automatically been moved into the new format.
- The new application has significantly fewer questions, so there will be some questions from the old application that you will no longer see.
- There are some new questions too! The next time that you login to your application, you’ll be asked to answer and save the new questions before you logout.
Tips for submitting a successful application:
- Complete your application by the deadline! Visit program pages for details.
- Make sure your dates of availability are accurate and current.
- Include at least one reference from someone who knows you in a team setting (coach, volunteer supervisor, youth group leader, etc.).
- Use your essays to provide details about your skills, interest and experiences.
- Proofread, spell check, and use complete sentences, proper punctuation, and good grammar.
- Review everything to make sure that your application is 100% complete and up to date.
1. Sign Up
- Sign up in MySCA and follow the steps to create a username and password
- Login to MySCA using the username and password you created above
2. Complete an Application
- Complete an application, including the appropriate program application section
- To apply for National or Regional Crews, complete the National/Regional Youth Crew program application
- To apply for Community Crews, complete the Community Crew program application
- Pay the $25 application fee if required (see program pages for details)
- Submit your application
3. Add an Application Code if Required
- For Regional Crews, find your Application Code on the Regional Crew page
- For Community Crews, your local SCA contact will provide you an Application Code if you need one
- National Crews do not generally require an Application Code
- Enter the Application Code on the Home Page in your MySCA portal
There is a one-time application fee of $25 ($40 for non-US citizens) for most youth programs. If you have questions or concerns about the fee, please contact email@example.com or your local SCA contact.
We know that you’ve learned and grown a lot since last year. Update your application to share the experiences and skills that make you an even stronger candidate this season.
- Make sure that your dates of availability are accurate and current
- Share new experiences and insights in your essays
- Add at least one new reference
- Login to update your application now
To learn what happens after you complete your application, visit the program page for the youth program(s) you are applying for.
Questions about Applying for SCA Youth Positions?
- Start with our great National/Regional and Community FAQ pages
- Can’t find what you need? Contact us at Recruiting@thesca.org