Some positions posted in the Fall for positions that run January through December
Majority of positions posted each winter for positions that run April through December.
Some positions are developed on a rolling basis and will be posted as they are launched including summer opportunities June through August.
Vary year to year but typically 8-15.
Typically 2.5 months before the start date in order to start two rounds of interviews before selection. Selection is typically 2-4 weeks before the start date so that incoming Fellows can transition to Pittsburgh.
Since 2008 SCA has placed Sustainability Fellows across local governments, non-profits, businesses, and community organizations to lead diverse projects. By bringing talented, trained, supported capacity to our partners, our local climate action plans have been largely implemented and sustainability has been infused in the Pittsburgh PA region through these Fellowships.
Members bring skills from a range of disciplines to implement hands-on sustainability projects that bring capacity to Pittsburgh partner agencies. Position areas include energy tracking, carbon audits, waste audits, public outreach, urban planning, and tree planting.
SCA Sustainability Fellows engage with thousands of citizens throughout the Pittsburgh region each year via hands-on projects, trainings, presentations, service projects, and educational programming.
Fellows participate in training workshops as a team while serving at their host sites. Training topics can include:
- Climate Science, Energy Policy, and Residential Energy Conservation
- Conducting greenhouse gas inventories
- Strengths Based Leadership Training
- The Science of Behavior Change
- Communicating Sustainability
- Corporate Sustainability
- Community Development &Sustainability in Neighborhood Planning
- Rural Sustainable Development
- Service Project & Volunteer Management
- Sustainable Transit Systems
- Grant Writing
- Local Government Sustainability
- Leadership, Communication, and Career Planning
- Conﬂict Mediation
- GIS for Community Development
- Community Charrettes Facilitation
- EPA Portfolio Manager software
- Air Quality Issues & Solutions
- LEED Sustainability Assessments for Businesses
- Green Building and Living Building Principles
SCA Sustainability Fellows are typically 6 months to 3 years out of college with an undergraduate or graduate degree. We look for candidates with mature project leadership experience with a preference for previous hands-on sustainability projects.
Members receive monthly living stipends and are supported to find housing in Pittsburgh. Other benefits include: relocation assistance, commuting stipend, Education Award, extensive training, conference opportunities and health care insurance. Although the SCA Sustainability Fellows program is not a residential corps, members come together for group trainings each month and regular corps-wide service projects.
Our alumni go on to be hired regionally and nationally into leadership positions across diverse industries such as:
- Neighborhood Development
- Campus Sustainability
- Corporate Sustainability
- Urban Parks Education
- Environmental Policy
- Waste to Energy
- Transportation & Commuting
Applicants must be at least 21 years of age, have an undergraduate degree, and pass a background check. Other requirements vary by position.