In 2000, SCA fielded its first community conservation program in Pittsburgh. We partnered with the Pittsburgh Parks Conservancy and the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy. Since that first year, thousands of youth in the Pittsburgh region have participated in SCA programs. SCA continues to provide conservation opportunities to Pittsburgh young people each year.
The SCA Pittsburgh Community Program provides year-round conservation opportunities divided into two seasons: school-year programs (running September through May) and summer programs (running June through August). The Pittsburgh Community Program offers both volunteer and paid service opportunities. Members serve at sites in and around Pittsburgh. Participants build trails and restore habitat while exploring green career opportunities, building leadership skills, and learning about the local environment through field trips, outdoor recreation, and service projects.
PITTSBURGH SUMMER PROGRAM – HIGH SCHOOL
In summer 2022, 6 crews will serve at sites in and around Pittsburgh serving Riverview Park, McKinley Park, South Side Park, The Hill District, Hilltop Urban Farm, and Woodland Hills High School. Participants will have the opportunity to build trails, restore habitat, and grow food while exploring green career opportunities.
- During the program, participants learn how to work as members of a diverse team of peers; gain knowledge of public land resources, environmental issues, and career readiness skills; increase understanding of environmental and trail restoration techniques; acquire experience in public service and outdoor recreation; and develop valuable professional skills through teambuilding and leadership activities.
June 27 - August 5, 9AM-3PM, Monday - Friday
Conditions of Employment:
- High School Members must apply to the Learn and Earn Program, beginning March 13th. If you do not qualify for the Learn and Earn program, contact the SCA Program Manager for more information.
- SCA Employees are required to demonstrate full vaccination status for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19); OR Receive from SCA a reasonable accommodation granting an exemption from vaccine requirements based on a medical disability or because of religious belief.
- To be a member of the high school crew applicants must be at least 14 years of age or in high school.
- To be a leader of the high school crew applicants must be 21 years of age or higher.
- Other requirements vary by position.
- Crew Members will be paid $9/hour (27.5 hr/week/6 weeks) paid every other Friday.
- Crew Leaders will be paid $700/week (40 hours/weeks/9 weeks) paid every other Friday.
- If you are interested in LEADING a Pittsburgh Community Crew: Click Login or Sign Up. Create a profile, complete the basic application and then select Leader Application (must be 21 or over).
- If you are interested in being a HIGH SCHOOL MEMBER working for Pittsburgh Community Crews: Click Login or Sign Up. Create a profile, complete the basic application, and then select Community Application.
**Once your application is complete, you MUST email Joanna at [email protected] with the position of interest listed in the subject line. This is the only way for us to know your application has been submitted. **
FOR HIGHEST CONSIDERATION APPLY BY April 15, 2022.
Fall job opportunities for young adults and high school students. Check back in July.
To contact SCA’s Community Program in Pittsburgh, email [email protected] or call 412-356-3300.