Two Philadelphia crew members were chosen to be given the opportunity to join a SCA National Crew this summer after completing the Greater Philadelphia CLC program. These members joined other high school students on crews working in National Parks and federal lands across the country. The students were provided with travel scholarship, camping gear and predominately worked on trial building or maintenance projects for periods lasting 15 to 35 days.Read more
SCA fielded its first community conservation program in Philadelphia in 2009. In 2012 we launched our programming in Camden, New Jersey. We run both summer and school year programs from our main oﬃce located inside the John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge at Tinicum, visitors center. Since that first year, hundreds of youth in the Philadelphia region have participated in SCA programs. Thanks to the City of Philadelphia and the City of Camden, environmental organizations, schools, youth development organizations, and numerous community groups, SCA continues to provide conservation opportunities to Philadelphia young people each year.
The SCA Greater Philadelphia Community Program provides year-round conservation opportunities divided into two seasons: school-year programs (October to June) and summer programs (July to August). The Philadelphia Community Program offers both volunteer and paid service opportunities. Volunteer programs occur on weekends in the spring, while paid service programs run in the summertime and on school year weekends. Members serve at sites in and around the Philadelphia/Camden area. Participants build trails and restore habitat while exploring green career opportunities, building leadership skills, and learning about the local environment through field trips, outdoor recreation, and service projects.
- CPR Certification
- Resume Building
- Leave No Trace (LNT) Outdoor Ethics
- Financial Literacy
- Habitat Restoration
- Trail Skills
- Applicants must be at least 15 years of age or in high school. Other requirements vary by position.
- To contact SCA’s Community Program in Philadelphia and Camden, email [email protected] or phone: 215-756-2279
School Year Weekend Community Program
Calling all high school students! Now is your chance to make a difference in your own backyard. You can be a part of a program that promotes youth leadership, conservation ethics, and fun! The Student Conservation Association is a dynamic, national nonprofit organization which encourages and supports youth in hand-on service to the environment.
SCA’s Community Restoration Program will serve the Greater Philadelphia/Camden area.
As a high school member of the Community Restoration Crew you will:
- Develop collaboration and leadership skills while working on a team of up to 10 other high school students
- Engage in menaingful community work to restore neighborhoods and support conservation
- Learn more about your local environment through hands-on service and educational activities
- Explore green jobs and a variety of career opportunities
- Learn new outdoor skills and understand the application of conservation science
- Earn an income
- At least 15 before October 2017 and currently enrolled in high school
- Willing to try new things and have new experiences as a team player
- Interested in learning more about the outdoors, nature, and the environment
- Live in the Philadelphia, PA and/or Camden NJ area
- Have a positive attitude and a great work ethic
TO APPLY: CLICK HERE
Questions contact the oﬃce: 215-756-2279 or [email protected]