Pennsylvania Outdoor Corps
Pennsylvania Outdoor Corps
Now Hiring: Leaders for the 2020 Adult Program!
2020 Crew Locations: Philadelphia, Wilkes-Barre, Williamsport, Harrisburg (two crews: local and traveling), Altoona, St. Marys, Meadville and Pittsburgh
2020 Crew Leaders
Project leaders train, supervise and administer crews of five members, between the ages of 18 and 25, working on a variety of outdoor conservation projects, including trail maintenance, habitat restoration, invasive species removal, facility maintenance, light construction and resource inventory. Leaders coordinate with agency partners to plan and implement projects and work with SCA staff to manage safety, crew performance and logistics in the field. One leader is assigned to each crew.
- Training Dates: February 10th - 20th, 2020
- Adult Leader Season: February 10th to December 7th, 2020
- Program Dates: March 2nd to November 20th, 2020
- Hours: Monday - Thursday, 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM
- Locations: Philadelphia, Wilkes-Barre, Williamsport, Harrisburg (local and traveling), Altoona, St. Marys, Meadville, Pittsburgh
- Compensation: $700 per week, company-sponsored health insurance and benefits, breakfast and lunch provided
- Be between the ages of 18 and 25 at the start of the program.
- Be able to conduct manual work in outdoor conditions.
- Be enthusiastic about working on a diverse crew.
- Have an interest in conservation and natural resource management.
- Be able to model safe and professional behavior at all times.
- Have or secure hosing in or near their program city.
Qualified members who demonstrate exceptional leadership skills and work ethic during their positions on the 10-month crew will also gain the unique opportunity to take a 10-week leave from their position to assume the role of crew leader for one of the PA Outdoor Corps high school crews. These crews are comprised of two leaders and 10 members, ages 15 to 18, and run for six weeks during July and August each summer.
The Outdoor Corps will have a traveling crew, based in Harrisburg, in our 2020 program. Members of this crew will travel statewide and camp in state parks and forests while working on resource management projects. Details and qualifications are similar to member positions, but crews will work for eight days straight with a six day weekend and will be away from home during their work.
If interested in the Resource Crew, please select “Harrisburg, PA” as your program city during your application and specify that you’re interested in the Resource Crew when emailing.
To Apply: Click here for guidance on the leader application process. Then follow this link to begin or update your application. For those with an existing application, please update your dates of availability and any other relevant information. Upon completing the application process, please email Program Manager Ted Miller at [email protected], or reach out via phone at 412-325-1851 ext. 3024 to let us know you’re interested.
Announcement: Now hiring adult crew members and summer youh leaders!
We are currently accepting applications for 2020 young adult crew member positions and summer youth leader positions. We will make selections after the stated application deadlines.
Young Adult Program Information
- Application deadline: January 1, 2020
- Program Dates: March 2nd - November 30th, 2020
- Weekly Schedule: Monday - Thursday, 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- Locations: Philadelphia, Wilkes-Barre, Harrisburg (two, one local and one traveling), Altoona, Williamsport, St Marys, Meadville and Pittsburgh
- Compensation: $13.20 per hour, employer-sponsored benefits, paid trainings and career-development opportunities
- To Apply - download our application instructions HERE
Summer Youth Program Information
- Application deadline: April 25, 2020
- Mandatory leader Training Dates: June 8th - 19th, 2020
- Leader Position Dates: June 8th - August 10, 2020
- Program Dates: June 29th - August 7th, 2020
- Weekly Schedule: Monday - Fridat, 7:30 AM to 3:30 PM
- Locations: Altoona, Chambersburg, Erie, Greensburg, Harrisburg, Hazleton, Lehigh Valley, Meadville, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Reading, Renovo, St Marys, Wilkes-Barre, Wellsboro, Williamsport and York
- Compensation: $650 per week, paid training
For inquiries about our Young Adult program, please email Program Manager Ted Miller at [email protected] or via phone at 412-325-1851 ext. 3024.
For Youth Program Inquiries please contact Program Coordinator Vickery Lauro at [email protected] or by phone at 412-325-1851 ext. 3030.
- Connect with the Pennsylvania Outdoor Corps on Facebook
- Read the oﬃcial program announcement
- See news coverage of the kick-off event
- PAOC in the news and press
- Pennsylvania Environment Council clip on the 2019 Young Adult Program
- 2019 PBS WQED video
- NBC Philadelphia video on the 2019 crew
- WENY news video from summer 2019
- Susquehanna National Heritage Area shoutout
- The Reading Eagle 2019 - Reading, PA
- The Bradford Era news article - 2019
- Fox 56 video on the Pennsylvania Outdoor Corps