Pennsylvania Outdoor Corps
Pennsylvania Outdoor Corps
Outdoor Corps members will tackle hands-on projects in state parks, state forests and other natural lands. In addition, the program provides learning opportunities in resource management, team leadership, environmental topics and recreation skills. Corps members also will be provided with career development training during their period of employment.
Update in Response to COVID-19
The 2020 PA Outdoor Corps summer crew program has been canceled due to the ongoing COVID-19 crisis. Whether you are a new applicant who was looking forward to working in our state parks or an alumni member who was looking forward to getting back out in nature and doing some great work for your community this summer we understand that this will be disappointing news. However, we must prioritize the safety of all youth crew members and our youth crew leaders. Your application will remain in our system for next year’s program and we will be in touch with more details about the 2021 program later in the year. Thank you so much for your interest in the PA Outdoor Corps and we look forward to working with you in the future.
Now Hiring: Leaders for the 2020 Adult Program!
2020 Crew Locations: Philadelphia, Wilkes-Barre, Williamsport, Harrisburg (two crews: local and traveling), Altoona, St. Marys, Meadville and Pittsburgh
2020 Crew Leaders
Project leaders train, supervise and administer crews of five members, between the ages of 18 and 25, working on a variety of outdoor conservation projects, including trail maintenance, habitat restoration, invasive species removal, facility maintenance, light construction and resource inventory. Leaders coordinate with agency partners to plan and implement projects and work with SCA staff to manage safety, crew performance and logistics in the field. One leader is assigned to each crew.
- Training Dates: February 10th - 20th, 2020
- Adult Leader Season: February 10th to December 7th, 2020
- Program Dates: March 2nd to November 20th, 2020
- Hours: Monday - Thursday, 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM
- Locations: Philadelphia, Wilkes-Barre, Williamsport, Harrisburg (local and traveling), Altoona, St. Marys, Meadville, Pittsburgh
- Compensation: $700 per week, company-sponsored health insurance and benefits, breakfast and lunch provided
- Experience working with youth or young adults, teaching or environmental education a plus
- Experience with conservation work skills or related skills preferred
- Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements, and occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
- Current First Aid and CPR certification required by the start of training
- Must be able to attend Crew Leader training from Feb. 10th to Feb. 20th, 2020
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Must have ability to legally work in the US
- Must have a valid driver’s license for 3+ years and MVR that meets SCA standards
- Must be able to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
- Must have or secure housing in or near program city
The Outdoor Corps will have a traveling crew, based in Harrisburg, in our 2020 program. Members of this crew will travel statewide and camp in state parks and forests while working on resource management projects. Details and qualifications are similar to member positions, but crews will work for eight days straight with a six day weekend and will be away from home during their work.
If interested in the Resource Crew, please select “Harrisburg, PA” as your program city during your application and specify that you’re interested in the Resource Crew when emailing.
To Apply: Click here for guidance on the leader application process. Then follow this link to begin or update your application. For those with an existing application, please update your dates of availability and any other relevant information. Upon completing the application process, please email Program Manager Ted Miller at [email protected], or reach out via phone at 412-325-1851 ext. 3024 to let us know you’re interested.
Announcement: Now hiring adult crew members and summer youh leaders!
We are currently accepting applications for 2020 young adult crew member positions and summer youth leader positions. We will make selections after the stated application deadlines.
Young Adult Program Information
- Application deadline: January 1, 2020
- Program Dates: March 2nd - November 30th, 2020
- Weekly Schedule: Monday - Thursday, 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- Locations: Philadelphia, Wilkes-Barre, Harrisburg (two, one local and one traveling), Altoona, Williamsport, St Marys, Meadville and Pittsburgh
- Compensation: $12.70 per hour, employer-sponsored benefits, paid trainings and career-development opportunities
- To Apply - download our application instructions HERE
Qualified members who demonstrate exceptional leadership skills and work ethic during their positions on the 10-month crew will also gain the unique opportunity to take a 10-week leave from their position to assume the role of crew leader for one of the PA Outdoor Corps high school crews. These crews are comprised of two leaders and 10 members, ages 15 to 18, and run for six weeks during July and August each summer.
Summer Crew Leader Information
- Application deadline: April 15, 2020
- Mandatory leader Training Dates: June 8th - 19th, 2020
- Leader Position Dates: June 8th - August 10, 2020
- Program Dates: June 29th - August 7th, 2020
- Weekly Schedule: Monday - Friday, 7:30 AM to 3:30 PM
- Locations: Allentown, Altoona, Chambersburg, Erie, Greensburg, Harrisburg, Hazleton, Meadville, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Pottstown, Renovo, St Marys, Wilkes-Barre, Wellsboro, Williamsport and York
- Compensation: $650 per week, paid training
Summer Youth Member Information
- Dates: June 29th – August 7th, 2020
- Hours: Monday through Friday, 7:30 AM to 3:30 PM
- Locations: Altoona, Allentown Chambersburg, Erie, Greensburg, Harrisburg, Hazleton, Meadville, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Pottstown, Renovo, St Marys, Wilkes-Barre, Wellsboro, Williamsport and York
- Compensation: $12.00/hour, transportation to work site, breakfast and lunch provided daily
- Transportation: Members must have reliable transportation to the crew meeting location. (Locations are dependent on member zip codes and public transportation access (if applicable), usually a public site is selected at a school, park, or state oﬃce building centrally located in each city.)
- Must be between the ages of 15-18
- Application Open Enrollment: February 1 - April 1, 2020
- We will not be making crew selections until after April 1, 2020
- Download application instructions HERE
- Alumni Members – Please CLICK HERE to let us know you are interested in returning for another season
For inquiries about our Young Adult program, please email Program Manager Ted Miller at [email protected] or via phone at 412-325-1851 ext. 3024.
For Youth Program Inquiries please contact Program Coordinator Vickery Lauro at [email protected] or by phone at 412-325-1851 ext. 3030.
- Connect with the Pennsylvania Outdoor Corps on Facebook
- Read the oﬃcial program announcement
- See news coverage of the kick-off event
- PAOC in the news and press
- Pennsylvania Environment Council clip on the 2019 Young Adult Program
- 2019 PBS WQED video
- NBC Philadelphia video on the 2019 crew
- WENY news video from summer 2019
- Susquehanna National Heritage Area shoutout
- The Reading Eagle 2019 - Reading, PA
- The Bradford Era news article - 2019
- Fox 56 video on the Pennsylvania Outdoor Corps