Pennsylvania Outdoor Corps
Pennsylvania Outdoor Corps
The SCA, the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources and the Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry have launched a multi-year partnership to field a statewide youth conservation program. The Pennsylvania Outdoor Corps offers paid work experience, job training, and educational opportunities to teens and young adults as they protect and restore public lands and waters.
Outdoor Corps members will tackle hands-on projects in state and local parks, state forests and other public lands. In addition, the program provides learning opportunities in resource management, environmental topics and recreation skills. Corps members also will be provided with workforce development training during their period of employment.
2017 Youth Summer Crews
The Outdoor Corps is now accepting applications for its 2017 summer season! This program is open to applicants ages 15 – 18, and will run for six weeks during July and August. We are placing 14 summer crews across Pennsylvania, bringing 140 youth into the field to work on projects such as trail building, habitat restoration and park maintenance.
- Dates: July – August (six weeks)
- Hours: Full-time, Mon – Fri, 37.5 hours per week
- Locations: Erie, Meadville, Pittsburgh, Uniontown, Altoona, McConnellsburg, Renovo, Williamsport, Harrisburg, York, Reading, St. Marys, Wilkes-Barre and Philadelphia
- Compensation: $10.15 per hour, breakfast, lunch and transportation are provided
- Be between the ages of 15 to 18 at the start of the program.
- Be able to conduct manual work in outdoor conditions.
- Be enthusiastic about working on a diverse crew.
- Have an interest in conservation and natural resource management.
- Be able to model safe and professional behavior at all times.
- Have or secure housing in their program city.
- Download our Application Instructions to help guide you through the application process
- Follow this link to begin or update your SCA application
2017 Youth Summer Crew Leaders
The Pennsylvania Outdoor Corps and the SCA seek qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire youth members during our six-week summer program. Crew leaders train, supervise and administer crews of 10 members, between the ages of 15 – 18, working on a variety of outdoor conservation projects, including trail maintenance, vegetation management, invasive species removal, park maintenance and light construction. Two leaders are assigned to each crew, and 28 leaders total will be hired state-wide.
For more information about our leader positions, and to apply, visit our leader hiring page.
2017 Young Adult Crews
The 2017 season is underway for our 10-month young adult crews, but we still have a limited number of openings. We are currently accepting applications for our Wilkes-Barre and Williamsport positions. Applicants must be between the ages of 18 – 25, be able to commit to a full-time work schedule and have or secure housing in or near their program city.
For more information on these positions, view our recruiting ﬂyer. See “To Apply” section above for links to the application.
- Connect with the Pennsylvania Outdoor Corps on Facebook
- Read the oﬃcial program announcement
- View videos and photos from the partner kick-off
- See news coverage of the kick-off event