New Jersey is home to several SCA summer high school job programs in areas throughout the state including Hunterdon County, Newark and Camden.
SCA fielded its first community based conservation program in Hunterdon County NJ in 1999, partnering with the Hunterdon County Parks system. Over the past 14 years the program has engaged over 300 high school students in conservation job opportunities in Hunterdon County and the impacts on the county’s trail system have been enormous. In 2003 SCA expanded its New Jersey programming by establishing high school programming in the Newark area in partnership with Prudential.
Camden community crews are run from our Philadelphia oﬃce. For more information about Camden see our Philadelphia page.
The SCA New Jersey Community Program provides summer job opportunities (July through August) for high school students in the Hunterdon and Essex county regions of New Jersey. This 6-week summer program runs Monday-Friday and incorporates environmental education and job readiness training into the conservation service experience. Participants build trails and restore habitat while exploring green career opportunities, building leadership skills, and learning about the local environment through field trips, outdoor recreation, and service projects.
During the program, participants learn how to work as members of a diverse team of peers; gain knowledge of public land resources, environmental issues, and career readiness skills; increase understanding of environmental and trail restoration techniques; acquire experience in public service and outdoor recreation; and develop valuable professional skills through teambuilding and leadership activities.
- Resume Building
- Leave No Trace (LNT) Outdoor Ethics
- Financial Literacy
- Habitat Restoration
- Trail Skills
- National Park Service
Applicants must be at least 15 years of age to participate in high school programs. Members must be currently in high school or recent high school graduates.
- Earn up to $400/week.
- Uniform and Boots Provided.
- Program runs July 6, 2020 to August 14, 2020.
- Work fulltime (35hrs/week), Monday-Friday. 8:00am-3:30pm.
- Work in local parks
- Obtain valuable work-skills and green job training.
- Work in beautiful outdoor settings.
- Make lifelong friends!
- Participate in a 2 night 3 day all expenses paid recreation trip.
- Work on teams of 6-10 High School team members (with 1-2 adult team leaders 21+)
- Serve to give back and better your local communities, parks and natural areas.
- Participate in weekly environmental education and recreational activities to include: kayaking, hiking, trips to organic farms, wastewater facilities and museums.
- If you need any assistance, please refer to the How to Apply section of our website.
- Please email NJ Program Manager; Pablo Galesi [email protected] once you have completed the application or if you have any questions.
The Student Conservation Association has been a leader in the Hurricane Sandy recovery and resiliency efforts at City, State and National Parks around NY and NJ. Visit our NYC Recovery site to see where we’ve been working and how much we have accomplished in the New York and New Jersey Metropolitan Area.