Alaska Regional Crews
SCA is looking for adventurous Alaskans ages 15-19 to participate in summer Regional Crews.
Extended Deadline: Apply by Wednesday April 11 (April 25 for Bristol Bay region students)
What is a Regional Crew?
SCA members work on crews of 8 members with 2 professional crew leaders. Crews are located throughout the state. Members camp in tents, cook meals together, and fully participate in team activities throughout the duration of the program. The team completes conservation projects like trail work, environmental restoration, and invasive plant removal. Teams will also participate in educational and fun activities like exploring the local ecosystem, practicing leadership skills, hiking, and community events. There are multiple start dates in June and July:
- Bristol Bay Native Corporation
- Cook Inlet Region, Inc.
- National Park Service
- Chugach National Forest
- Chugach Alaska Corporation
- Mat-Su Health Foundation
A big part of the Regional Crew experience is learning new things. You can learn about anything from public land resources and environmental issues to leadership and career readiness skills. Members will also leave with an increased understanding of environmental and trail restoration techniques and will acquire experience in public service and outdoor recreation. Members are also expected to participate in chores, providing them with a chance to learn how to cook for a group and keep a clean and animal-proof camp.
Costs and Stipends
All Regional Crews are provided at no cost. SCA will provide travel arrangement for students who live outside of Southcentral Alaska. Members typically earn a $500 stipend after successfully completing a 4 week crew. Please keep in mind that this stipend is not a wage, and members who are dismissed or leave early from the program may be ineligible.
- Must currently live in Alaska
- Ages 15-19
- Positive attitude
- Motivation to serve
- Demonstrated maturity, leadership, and social responsibility
- Willing to camp, live, and work with other youth
- Interest in ecological and conservation topics
- Ready to fully participate in a team-based program
- Applicants 18 or older must pass criminal background check
How to Apply:
- Complete the online SCA Application - Basic, Program (national/regional youth crew), and Final application - Click here to begin.
- On the Home page of the application, enter the following Alaska Regional Crew Application Code: PO-00724993.
- Contact Jeff Chen at [email protected] or call/text 907-717-8414 for more details.
Download the 2018 Alaska crew ﬂyer (pdf) here