Riparian Restoration Corps:
The SCA, Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) and The Houston Parks and Recreation (HPARD), are looking for a detail-oriented, highly motivated, and independent conservation team member to join the 2021 Riparian Restoration Conservation Corps Team.
Program Dates: 10/04/2021- 12/5/2021
Leader Dates: 9/27/2021- 12/12/2021
Leader Training Dates: September 13- September 24 (mandatory paid training)
This team will design and carry out hands-on riparian restoration projects in partnership with TCEQ and SCA in Houston Parks and Recreation sites.
Responsibilities can include:
- Conducts prairie and riparian habitat restoration
- Works in the HPARD greenhouse to propagate plants for habitat restoration.(To be confirmed)
- Performs trash cleanup of riparian areas.
- Conducts invasive species removal using mechanical and/or chemical methods.
- Lead community outreach events to educate citizens about the value of native habitat.
- Maintains, calibrates, and operates SCA technical equipment.
- Performs related work as assigned.
In addition to the restoration projects, the team will also lead three Saturday volunteer service events in the communities
Project sites: Stuart, Reveille, and Carlton Parks.
This will be an opportunity explore new skills and undertaking tasks that will impart lasting benefits to recreation sites. The program composition will consist of 1 Project leader 5 Conservation Team Members and will be managed by the SCA Houston Program Manager.
This is a partnership with Houston Parks and Recreation Department and Texas Commission on Environmental Quality.
- Member pay: Hourly wage of $10hr x 40 hrs per week
- AmeriCorps Ed Award enrollment for 300 hr award which totals to $1,311.11. ( Members only and this is a separate perk from the pay) The Team Members in this position must accept the AmeriCorps education award.
- Commitment to service in working conditions that will include extreme temperatures, high humidity, precipitation, and busy public areas
Commitment working within an intensive crew environment; interpersonal skills are strongly desired
- Valid driver’s license and ability to pass Motor Vehicle Records check preferred (only participants 21+ will eligible to drive work vehicles)
- Members must be 18+ to be considered for this team
- Ability to pass SCA background check
- Must commit to the entire program and local to the Houston area
Chainsaw Herbicide and Plant ID