- collection of water quality from ponds and culture systems and adjusting ﬂows or clean systems as needed
- measure food levels in ponds and systems and alter feeding levels accordingly
- feeding, cleaning, and maintenance of systems holding host fish
- constructing, cleaning, and maintaining systems for captive propagation and research of freshwater mussels
- host fish infection, filter examination for juvenile mussels, counting and measuring juvenile mussels using microscope cameras and software, and rearing of juveniles in a variety of systems
- ordering and maintaining live food sources.
- Barton Springs salamander care.
- removal, isolation and treatment of injured or diseased animals
- collecting and maintaining data and supplying information for monthly and annual reporting
- field collection and restoration activities
- freshwater mussel propagation and conservation internship at US Fish & Wildlife Service creating and submitting purchase requests
Living Allowance: $225.00 per week
Travel Allowance: $1,100.00 one-time
Commuter Allowance: $25 per week
Housing Allowance: $675.00 per month
The AmeriCorps Education Award available upon successful completion of this position is $3,172.50.
*All allowances subject to applicable federal, state, and local taxes.
It is SCA’s policy that all AmeriCorps-required background checks must return cleared results prior to the position’s start; this includes being fingerprinted for the FBI check. Otherwise, the AmeriCorps award will be removed or the position’s start date will be delayed due to non-compliance.
Conditions of Employment
Required to demonstrate full vaccination status for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) with a Food and Drug Administration (FDA) authorized or FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine.
San Marcos Aquatic Resources Center. Captive refuge for endangered species in ponds, outdoor raceways, and temperature controlled systems in open buildings (not air-conditioned)
USFWS snorkel certification
USFWS non-motorized boat certification
Water Quality meters
Multisizer 4e particle counter
Microscope with polarized light filters, camera and measuring
- degree major or professional experience