The SCA individual placements will supply the Forest and community partners with critical information that can be eﬃciently analyzed during the collaborative design of aquatic and terrestrial ecosystem restoration at whole watershed/landscape scales. The SCA individual placements will receive a multi-dimensional experience both technical watershed and aquatic science and socio-economic in nature as they learn what their work is contributing towards.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Collecting stream habitat data and riparian vegetation information, and streambed substrate
- Detect fish presence primarily through electrofishing, snorkeling or other ocular identification
- Input info collected into database
- Develop reports
Work conditions may include long hikes in rough terrain. Participants will be wading in streams where slippery conditions and loose footing is common. All safety gear such as orange vests, hardhats, specialized stream boots, and communication devices will be provided by the U.S. Forest Service.
The participants will attend the U.S. Forest Service stream inventory training to obtain the skills needed to complete the work. U.S. Forest Service vehicle will be provided for work-related travel. Work schedule is typically Monday-Thursday (4 days weeks), 10 hour days with some ﬂexibility. Hours will generally be 7:00am - 5:30pm.
Duty Location: North Bend, WA
- $650- one time RT travel allowance
- $250 - weekly living allowance
- $800 Reimburseable Duty Travel allowance
- AmeriCorps eligible ($1,612 education award)
*All allowances subject to applicable federal, state, and local taxes
Location will be based in North Bend, WA.
1) US Forest Service Pacific Northwest Region - Stream Inventory and Assessment training (June 2019)
2) Database entry
3) Evaluation of water diversion and assessing impacts to fisheries.
The work duties provide students interested in watershed, fisheries, hydrology or related science practical experience. In addition, interns become exposed to working in a federal land management agency.
- some coursework or experience
- some experience
- Working with Animals
- some experience