SCA’s National Crews offer you a chance to visit places you’ve never seen before, camping with your crew members in the ﬁeld to enjoy nature at its best. You’ll be building trails, conserving vital habitats, and protecting natural resources for future generations. National Crews will also set you on the path to other SCA opportunities, like Conservation Internships and team-based Corps positions.
2023 National Crews Update
The 2023 National Crew Season will be running in a very limited capacity this season. We will have two teams running for a combined total of 14 spots.
Start dates and end dates for the two programs will run between July 10 – August 16, 2023.
Preference will be given to all applications submitted by: March 3, 2023.
Offers will be sent out no later than March 31, 2023.
National Crew Participation Costs:
- Transportation to and from the site*
- Any required personal gear (i.e. work boots, backpack, sleeping bag)
- Include 6 to 8 high school aged members per crew
- Serve 2 to 5 weeks in the summer
- Are supervised by two experienced adult leaders
- Are usually volunteer positions
- Have highly competitive admissions
National Crew Members:
- Complete trail maintenance and restoration projects in national, regional, state, or local parks
- Live in tents** on site and cook their own meals
- Develop collaboration and leadership skills
- Work with other high school students from across the country
- Learn about local wildlife and help to preserve vital habitats
- Learn practical outdoor skills and practice Leave No Trace
- Explore local outdoor recreational opportunities with their crew on non-work days
The Ideal Candidate:
- Is 15 to 19 years old on the start date of the crew
- Is a current high school student, including graduating seniors
- Demonstrates leadership skills and/or responsibility
- Participates with extracurricular groups or volunteer organizations
- Likes working with people
- Enjoys spending time outdoors
- Wants to learn more about ecology or environmental topics
2023 National Crew Program Dates
- July 10 – August 16, 2023
How to apply:
- Login or Sign Up
- Complete the online SCA application, including the National/Regional Youth Crew Program Application
- Submit your application
- Visit the How to Apply page for more tips and details
Additional High School summer and school year programs can be found here.
Questions about National Crews?
* National Crew members are eligible for travel support. Travel support is needs-based and is calculated using financial information provided my the member’s parent/guardian. Members will receive a travel support application when they are assigned to a crew.
**Occasionally crews will live in dormitory-style housing.