Did you have a fantastic time leading a crew this year and are you looking for more? SCA Leader Teams offer opportunities for alumni SCA Leaders and adult Corps Members to build trails, conserve vital habitats, and protect natural resources for future generations during the off-season. Develop your leadership and outdoor skills further while doing important work alongside your peers.
You must have a Leader Application submitted to be eligible. Visit the Field Leader How to Apply page for more details!
Video Info Session:
Live Recorded on Aug 8th, 2018:
https://youtu.be/_f3KvoO84LQ (start at 10-minute mark ;))
- Include 2 to 5 members per team with 1 leader
- Serve 2 to 12 weeks in the spring and fall
Leader Team Members:
- Complete trail maintenance and site restoration projects in national, regional, state, or local parks across the country
- Live in park provided housing or in tents on site
- Should be willing to work/live in both frontcountry and backcountry settings
- Develop and hone leadership and conservation work skills while working with your peers
- Practice outdoor skills and Leave No Trace principles
The Ideal Candidate:
- Has led either a Community, National or Corps team in the past or has participated on an adult Corps team
- Is 18 and older
- Demonstrates leadership skills and/or responsibility
- Has positive reviews from Program Manager and Agency Partners
- Likes working with people
- Enjoys spending time outdoors
- Members receive a weekly stipend of $280/week
- Room and board
- Travel to/from the site up to $650.00 (or $1,300.00 for Alaska positions)
- One time $200 uniform stipend for most positions
2022 Winter/Spring Alumni Team Opportunities- *Newly Announced!* (member dates listed)
- Allegheny National Forest, PA (member dates: 3/14/22 – 5/8/22). The team will camp at front country, developed sites. Projects include installing paver blocks along ATV trails where erosion is prevalent.
- Abraham Lincoln Birthplace, KY (member dates: 3/21/22 – 6/3/22). The team will be staying at site housing. Projects include repairing culvers, redefining trails, and repairing trail surfaces.
- Hopewell Furnace National Historic Site, PA (member dates: 4/4/22 – 4/30/22). The team will camp at front country, developed sites. Projects include replacing deteriorating split rail fencing.
- Voyageurs National Park, MN (member dates: 8/18/22 – 9/24/22). The team will camp at front and backcountry sites. Projects include rehabilitating trails, removing blown down, installing boardwalks and signs, and reopening trail corridors.
- Pacific Crest Trail (Track 1 Crews: 3/6/22 to 4/16/22, Track 2 Crews: 3/20/22 to 4/30/22). The team will work with the Pacific Crest Trail Association (PCTA) on trail projects that address a backlog of maintenance issues. These backcountry crews will live and work in remote sections of the trail. Projects may include clearing downed logs, tread and drainage work, rock work, and clearing debris off the trail. Crews should expect to be camping in the front country and backcountry sites. Members should plan to be mobile and expect to travel long distances in remote locations to get to their project sites. Personal vehicles are not recommended for this project.
How to apply:
- Login to MySCA
- Create or update the SCA LEADER application. Make sure to use your current dates of availability, certifications and up-to-date resume
- Email [email protected] with “LEADER TEAMS” in the subject line and your regional preferences so we may review your application
- Applications for Leader Teams are accepted on a rolling basis until all positions are filled
- Offers will be made on a referral basis to those candidates positive with positive reviews from a former SCA manager
- Selected candidates will receive an offer by phone or email
- You will have the opportunity to accept or decline the offer
- If you accept, you will receive the Medical Form, Participant Agreement, and the Conditions of Acceptance Form to fill out
- Candidates who are not selected will receive an email or phone call declining their participation or inviting them to be placed on a waitlist
Questions about Leader Teams?
- Contact us at [email protected]