The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire 10-12 students for the Chicago Conservation Leadership Corp Program in partnership with Friends of the Forest Preserves (FOTFP).
Program Dates: June 26 – August 4, 2017
Trainings: Harrisonburg, VA June 8th-19th and Chicago, IL June 20th-21st
- Co-lead, supervise, transport, and mentor a team of 10-12 high school youth, ages 15-19 for six weeks (Mon-Fri; 8 hrs/day) completing an assortment of hands-on conservation and restoration projects within different areas in the Forest Preserves of Cook County and plan and lead weekly educational field days.
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Must have ability to legally work in the US
- Must be able to attend an expense paid, mandatory Crew Leader training: Harrisonburg, VA June 8th- 19th and Local Training June 20th-21st
- State of Illinois herbicide license or willing to obtain one before training start date
- Current First Aid & CPR certifications required by the start of the training
- Experience working with youth or young adults (ages 15-19), teaching in an urban educational environment a plus
- Plant Identification, mid-western ecology, or knowledge of the Forest Preserves is a plus
- Experience with conservation work skills or related skills, preferred i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening
- Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and must occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
- Valid driver’s license and MVR that meets SCA standards required
- Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
- Must have personal housing arrangements in program city
Compensation: ($15-$18 hourly rate) depending on qualifications and experience
Click Login or Sign Up. Create a profile, complete the basic application and then select the Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume & 3 references. Once your application is complete, please email [email protected] with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application.
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org