The SCA is a national non-profit changing lives through hands-on conservation work in the outdoors. Our program participants protect and restore national parks, marine sanctuaries, cultural landmarks and community green spaces at various locations across the country. After a summer working with the SCA, program participants emerge with increased environmental awareness, social responsibility and leadership skills.
Through its Urban Green Program, the SCA provides young people with paid green jobs, including single-day service projects, seasonal work and year-long internships or fellowships. The SCA New Jersey Community Program provides summer job opportunities (July through August) for high school students in various New Jersey Counties. This 4-to-8-week summer program runs Monday-Friday and incorporates environmental education and job readiness training into the conservation service experience. Participants build trails and restore habitat while exploring green career opportunities, building leadership skills, and learning about the local environment through field trips, outdoor recreation, and service projects.
During the program, participants learn how to work as members of a diverse team of peers; gain knowledge of public land resources, environmental issues, and career readiness skills; increase understanding of environmental and trail restoration techniques; acquire experience in public service and outdoor recreation; and develop valuable professional skills through teambuilding and leadership activities.
This program is very competitive and not all applicants will be accepted into the program. Applicants will be informed after the deadline in May if they have been accepted into the program.
2023 Musconetcong Community Trail Crew Members
The SCA is seeking crew members (ages 15-18) for its 2023 Musconetcong Community Trail Crew in New Jersey. Crew members will work on service projects along a 3.8-mile trail loop, including brushing out of trails, corridor maintenance, fixing/installation of signage and information kiosks, trail blazing, bridge construction, repairing sections of split rail fencing and help prevent erosion along the river bank. The team will consist of five crew members and is directly supervised by a Field Leader with support from SCA staff and a designated Program Coordinator/Staff from Musconetcong Watershed Association. Environmental Education opportunities will also be incorporated into the crew’s experience. Expected dates: July 17 – Aug. 25. Pay: $14/hr. NOTE: When applying for this high school youth crew member position, please reference PO#00735356 on the application. Learn more about applying to the SCA’s youth programs here.
- Earn $14/hr.
- Some Transportation Provided.
- Uniform and Boots Provided.
- Work approximately 35hrs/week, Monday-Friday. 8 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
- Obtain valuable work-skills and green job training.
- Work in beautiful outdoor settings.
- Work on teams with other High School team members (with 1-2 adult team leaders 21+)
- Serve to give back and better your local communities, parks, and natural areas.
- Make lifelong friends!
- Morris County Park Commission
- National Park Service
- National Park Foundation
- Musconetcong Watershed Association
- Habitat For Humanity
- Morristown High School
- Firth Youth Center
- Ramapough Lunaape Munsee Nation
- South Mountain Conservancy
- 20+ years of successful New Jersey based community programs.
- The SCA has established and maintained a collaborative partnership with the FEDCAP school of West Orange, NJ. This program provides year-round conservation stewardship and environmental education opportunities for at-risk youth.
- The SCA is committed to prioritizing historic preservation by partnering with The National Park Service on critical need historic preservation projects.
- The SCA has developed and implemented various Affinity Programs throughout New Jersey, most recently with the Ramapough Lunaape Munsee Nation, providing indigenous youth the opportunity to steward their ancestral lands.
SCA New Jersey
Pablo Galesi, NJ Program Staff
Email: [email protected]