Late May – Early October
Number of members: 24
ADK Winter Corps
Mid October – Mid March
Number of members: 4
The SCA Adirondack AmeriCorps Program is a partnership between the Student Conservation Association, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation and the Corporation for National and Community Service.
Since 1998, the SCA Adirondack AmeriCorps Program has provided nearly 400,000 hours of service to the lands and people of New York. Each year, 22 volunteers contribute more than 20,000 service hours completing conservation service projects that improve and protect the state’s cultural, recreational and natural resources.
Summer 2023 Adirondack AmeriCorps Member
The SCA is seeking crew members for its Summer 2023 Adirondack AmeriCorps Program located in the Adirondack Mountains of New York, 2.5 hours away from Albany, New York. As a member of the Adirondacks Corps you will be responsible for trail construction and maintenance projects, including trail clearing, bridge construction and stone structure construction. Additional tasks may include invasive species management, park infrastructure maintenance such as fire tower restoration or lean-to construction, and historic preservation, including restoring historic cabins within the park. Crew members serve from remote backcountry tent camps set up near work projects for up to 10 days at a time. Crews may also work from frontcountry camps (close to road access) depending upon project. When not in the field, crew members share cabins with bunk beds, kitchen, bathroom and shower facilities at Adirondack Corps basecamp. Expected Dates: May 15, 2023 – October 14, 2023.
Training & Certification Opportunities
- Defensive Driver Training
- Teamwork, Leadership, Risk Management and Conﬂict Resolution Skills Training
- Wilderness Advanced First Aid and CPR Certification
- Leave No Trace Outdoor Ethics
- Comprehensive Trail Construction & Maintenance Skills including Native Timber & Stonework
- Game of Logging Chainsaw Certification*
- Basic Rigging*
- American Canoe Association Canoe Training
- Backcountry Living Skills
- Crew Management and Leadership
- Diversity & Inclusion Training
*Note: Crew members will specialize in one of these skills
Members receive full room and board, a weekly living stipend and an AmeriCorps education award.
- Applicants must be US citizens, as this is an AmeriCorps program.
- Applicants should be in good physical condition and should enjoy hard work outdoors.
- Applicants should possess the ability to live and work in a small, close-knit group.
- Applicants must have good interpersonal communication skills.
- Outdoors or trail experience preferred but not necessary.