Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire young adults for the Prescribed Fire Corps programs throughout the Southeastern United States.
Program Dates: 1/14/19 – 5/24/19
Training Dates: 1/2/19 – 1/11/19
Manage a fully trained and outfitted 5-person prescribed fire crew composed of five young adults, located for 5 months in the Southeastern U.S. Manage the team as they conduct prescribed burns and other management activities on sensitive, threatened and endangered species habitat located on private and public lands to include open wet pine savannahs and upland longleaf pine on federal lands. Specifically, the Project Leader will:
- Act as a Crew Manager guiding crew dynamics and facilitating teamwork
- Function as a Technical Advisor assisting in training corps members to complete quality work
- Serve as a Partnership Representative managing relationships with agency partner and ensuring successful and timely completion of work projects
- Perform tasks as a Program Administrator by communicating with SCA staff, completing documentation and managing a budget
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Must have ability to legally work in the US
- Valid driver’s license and MVR that meets SCA standards required
- Current Red Card and S-212 certifications preferred Firefighter Type 2
- Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
- Must be able to attend mandatory Crew Leader training: 1/2/19 – 1/11/19
- Current Wilderness First Aid and CPR certification (Wilderness First Responder preferred)
- Experience working with young adults, teaching in an educational environment a plus
- Experience with conservation work skills or related skills preferred – i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening
- Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and most occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
- Preferred skill set: Experience leading fire crews, “red card” (Firefighter Type 2) certification, forestry, outdoor education and/or related subjects: plant identification; map & compass skills; camping skills; enthusiasm for the outdoors; and a sense of adventure.
Compensation: $650/week total salary, travel allowance, housing and meals provided.
To Apply: Click Login or Sign Up. Create a profile, complete the basic application and then select Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume, and two (2) professional references. Once your application is complete, please email [email protected] with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application.
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org