Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization, in partnership with The Nature Conservancy, seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire young adults for the Prescribed Fire Corps programs throughout the southeast U.S.
Program Dates: 1/2/2018 – 5/25/2018 (Dates are slightly ﬂexible)
Manage a fully trained and outfitted 2-person prescribed fire crew composed of two young adults, located for 5 months in the southeastern U.S. Manage the team as they conduct prescribed burns and other management activities on sensitive, threatened and endangered species habitat located on private and public lands to include open wet pine savannas and upland longleaf pine on federal lands.
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Current Fire Fighter Type 1 certification
- Current Wilderness First Aid and CPR certification (Wilderness First Responder preferred)
- Prior experience supervising groups in an outdoor setting
- Previous fire and chainsaw experience
- Experience with conservation work skills or related skills, preferred i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening
- Ability to pass the Wildland Firefighters’ arduous pack test
- Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and must occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
- Valid driver’s license and MVR that meets SCA standards required
- Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
- Preferred skill set: Experience leading veterans or fire crews, S212 federal chainsaw certification, “red card” (Firefighter Type 2) certification, forestry, geography, GIS, range management, outdoor education and/or related subjects: plant identification; map & compass skills; camping skills; enthusiasm for the outdoors; and a sense of adventure.
Compensation: $625 per week, housing provided, total salary depending on experience & program length
To Apply: Click Login or Sign Up. Create a profile, complete the basic application and then select the Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume & 3 references. Once your application is complete, please email [email protected] with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application.
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org