LOCAL CANDIDATES ONLY
This project will provide a youth intern with opportunities to learn about the environment by spending time working on projects in national parks. The project will increase public awareness of the coastal, terrestrial, and marine ecosystems of the Park through interpretive programming, outreach opportunities and educational services. Further, the intern will help teach the NPS mission of natural and cultural resource stewardship to students and teachers who visit the Park.
- Intern will observe and deliver education and interpretation programs to students and the general public. This may include communicating with local educators and observing and delivering Park education programs on the mainland and the islands, potentially reaching up to 500 student youth over the course of their internship.
- Intern will develop and produce education activities for classroom and outreach events.
- Intern will participate in local outreach events to relevant audiences at local schools and within the community, communicating the natural and cultural resources of the Channel Islands.
- Intern will visit the park islands to learn about the resource and conservation efforts, such as native plant restoration on Anacapa Island.
- Intern will work in the park visitor center, assisting with visitor information, orientation services, public education, and interpretive presentations. I
- Intern will provide interpretive talks, hikes, tours, and distance learning presentations on a weekly basis, at least three times a weekBenefits
$310/week living allowance
$900/month housing allowance
$3,447 Americorps Education Award upon full completion of internship hours
Position ID: PO-00734669
Expected Dates: January 22, 2024 - July 7, 2024
1901 Spinakker Drive
Ventura, CA 93001
Training Provided: a. Provide the intern with a general orientation to park operations, park cultural and natural resources, park islands, and NPS mission, and training specific to the intern’s projects. Specific trainings include Introduction to Interpretive Principles and
Educational/Recreational Opportunities: Intern will visit the park islands to learn about the resource and conservation efforts, such as native plant restoration on Anacapa Island.
Handicap Accessible?: Yes
Main Area of Focus: Education and Interpretation
AmeriCorps Eligible: Eligible
Driving Logistics: Not needed
Housing or Stipend Provided?
D. No housing is available
US Citizenship: Yes