This position requires that you become enrolled in AmeriCorps. If you are selected for this program please be sure to accept AmeriCorps during the SCA offer process. No travel allowance will be offered for this position even if it is stated on your confirmation of acceptance.
Due to Covid-19, events and trainings are subject to change in response to an increase in the number of cases in the Hudson Valley region. Such changes include, but are not limited to: trainings being held remotely, requesting symptomatic members to stay home from events, and asking members to test prior to Corps gatherings.
SCA Hudson Valley AmeriCorps partners with State and non-profit agencies to address the conservation needs of the Hudson River Watershed region. Corps members are placed at individual host sites, where service activities range from providing environmental education to underserved youth, to restoring streambanks along the Hudson River, and beyond. Members join together regularly for trainings, service projects, or other events.
The Volunteer Coordinator position will be located at Scenic Hudson in Poughkeepsie, NY.
Purpose of the Program
Scenic Hudson is a regional Hudson Valley land trust and environmental organization that operates throughout 10 counties in New York, from Albany to New York City. We welcome thousands of annual visitors to our parks and preserves each year.
We offer a diverse array of public events, place-based education programs and help partnering organizations grow throughout the Hudson Valley with a focus on reaching low income and urban communities, specifically in Poughkeepsie and Newburgh. Scenic Hudson works with concerned citizens, local officials, developers and policy makers to protect the beauty and health of the Hudson River and the communities along its shores. Our broad-based programs are designed to enhance public health and quality of life for the entire two million-plus population of the ten counties of the Hudson Valley region.
Scenic Hudson mission is to sustain and enhance the Hudson Valley’s inspirational beauty and health for generations to come. Scenic Hudson is a crusader for the valley since 1963, we are credited with saving fabled Storm King Mountain from a destructive industrial project and launching the modern grass-roots environmental movement. Today with more than 25,000 ardent supporters, we are the largest environmental group focused on the Hudson River Valley. To date Scenic Hudson has created or enhanced more than 65 parks, preserves and historic sites up and down the Hudson River and conserved nearly 40,000 acres. www.scenichudson.org
SCA AmeriCorps Member Duties and Responsibilities:
- Under the guidance and supervision of the Senior Community Projects Manager, work with Scenic Hudson’s Parks and Community Engagement Team, River Cities Team and the Science, Climate and Stewardship Team to develop, coordinate, promote and help run a season of diverse volunteer activities in urban and rural environments located in the Hudson Valley. Examples of volunteer activities include, but are not limited to community science-eel monitoring, urban farming, tree plantings, invasive plant management and trail work. Includes evening and weekend work. (60%)
- Assist Senior Community Projects Manager in promotion, coordination and implementation of public outreach events. Includes evening and weekend work. (15%)
- Work with the Parks and Community Engagement Team to develop and conduct visitor use surveys. (10%)
- Participate in all required SCA Corps-wide trainings and service projects, as well as project evaluation and reporting. (15%)
How the SCA AmeriCorps Member’s Role Aligns with the Organization:
As part of Scenic Hudson’s Parks and Community Engagement Team the Volunteer Coordinator will help develop volunteer opportunities that would assists multiple teams achieve their ambitious outcomes. Volunteer programs take place throughout the Hudson Valley in city owned and Scenic Hudson owned properties. The Volunteer Coordinator will help to optimize the use of public spaces by developing community projects and enhancing previously underutilized properties, parks, tributaries and waterfronts. Scenic Hudson has a goal of connecting with underserved communities and increasing civic engagement with local youth. This position takes small steps to help improve the quality of life for low-income communities in the Hudson Valley.
The Volunteer Coordinator will serve as an ambassador for Scenic Hudson by interacting with local organizations and the public through growing and distributing fresh produce, hosting public events, community-science, learn-and-serve projects, and other programmatic activities. Much of this will be done as part of a small team, some with volunteers and some independently. Position requires travel with personal vehicle throughout the Hudson Valley. Evening and weekend work will be required on an average of three times per month.
Performance Goals for the SCA AmeriCorps Member:
Goal 1: Work with three of Scenic Hudson’s Teams to develop and coordinate all aspects of a diverse volunteer program.
Goal 2: Work with existing and develop new community partners to assists with and support Scenic Hudson’s projects.
Goal 3: Assist Scenic Hudson staff with the outreach, development and management of public outreach events to increase public engagement around Scenic Hudson’s projects.
- Valid Driver’s License
- Ability to pass a federal background check
- Bachelor’s degree in urban studies, environmental sciences, education, recreation resources management or related field or equivalent knowledge and experience acquired through professional experience.
- Previous experience in volunteer management, public outreach, civic engagement, education, urban farming, community gardens, trail building, and park management is a plus.
Skills/Knowledge/Training Necessary to be a successful SCA AmeriCorps Member in this position:
· Enthusiastic about work and personable.
· Enjoy working with high school students and comfortable engaging with diverse community members in structured and unstructured settings.
· Ability to speak Spanish and translate written materials a plus.
· Comfortable working in a variety of settings including urban and rural.
· Flexible with work schedule. On average 2-3 days in the office and 2-3 days in the field each week. Occasionally including weekend, evening and early hours.
· Comfortable working in an outdoor setting and physically able to walk 4+ miles a day over varied terrain and able to lift 40 lbs.
· Must be well organized, possess strong interpersonal communication skills, detail oriented, and supportive of Scenic Hudson’s mission, www.scenichudson.org
· Must have valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
· Experience and comfortable with trail maintenance.
· Enjoy working with others in establishing and maintain community garden and urban farm(s).
· Knowledge of local plants.
· Familiarity with Microsoft Office suite—Word, Excel, Access.
Amount of the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award being offered for successful completion of the member’s term of service: $6,895
Amount of living allowance member will receive:
$350/week living allowance
$1,000/month housing allowance upstate
$1,100/month housing allowance in NYC
Healthcare coverage (if applicable):
Eligible for free health insurance
Childcare coverage (if applicable):
Eligible for childcare assistance through AmeriCorps
Student loan forbearance and interest payments, (if the member qualifies): Eligible for Federal Student Loan forbearance and interest payment deferment through AmeriCorps for qualifying student loans.
All Hudson Valley Corps members receive Wilderness First Aid, CPR, Environmental Leadership Institute, Hudson River Citizen Science curricula, Trail Skills, Project WILD curricula, and professional development. Optional trainings include Leave No Trace, Mental Health First Aid, and other opportunities that arise.
Position ID: PO-00736047
Expected Dates: January 22, 2024 - November 18, 2024
85 Civic Center Plaza
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
Handicap Accessible?: No
Main Area of Focus: Education and Interpretation
AmeriCorps Eligible: Eligible
Driving Logistics: Required
Housing or Stipend Provided?
A. Partner will provide suitable housing for the member
A four bedroom house will be provided in Poughkeepsie NY. The house will be shared by four SCA members in total. SCA members can move in early January of 2024 and must vacate by mid-December of 2024.
US Citizenship: Yes