Spend the summer exploring a career and making a difference at an Arkansas State Park! Specific job tasks will vary by site, but may include developing and presenting interpretive programs, maintaining park facilities and trails, providing information to guests, performing various natural resource management goals, and assisting with general park operations. Please let us know during the application process if you have a specific area of interest. Work locations will be announced prior to closing date.
- Crowley's Ridge State Park
- Mississippi River State Park
- Lake Ouachita State Park
- Lake Poinsett State Park
- Withrow Springs State Park (no housing; local candidates only)
- Moro Bay State Park (no housing; local candidates only)
To qualify for an internship, an applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Be a full-time student in good standing at an Arkansas college/university at the time of application.
- Have declared a degree of study.
- Have completed 60 hours of college credit by the time the internship begins.
- Be an Arkansas resident paying in-state tuition.
- Maintain a 2.5 cumulative grade point average.
- Demonstrate coursework or knowledge related to work area.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Pass a criminal background check
- Have reliable on-site transportation
Priority will be given to interns from universities who provide course credit hours for internships. Selected interns will coordinate directly with their universities to obtain credit for their work.
Each intern selected will receive:
- Housing and utilities, where available
- A one-time travel grant of $1,100 for round trip transportation to the internship site
- A weekly subsistence allowance of $360 during the internship period
- An approved uniform.
- An AmeriCorps Educational Award, if and when available, for interns that meet the qualifications set by the Corporation for National and Community Service.
These positions qualify for AmeriCorps Education Awards.
*All allowances are subject to applicable federal, state, and local taxes.
It is SCA’s policy that all AmeriCorps-required background checks must return cleared results prior to the position’s start; this includes being fingerprinted for the FBI check. Otherwise, the AmeriCorps award will be removed or the position’s start date will be delayed due to non-compliance.
Conditions of Employment
For SCA’s COVID guidance, please refer to www.thesca.org/covid
Position ID: PO-00734673
Expected Dates: May 15, 2023 - August 13, 2023
1 Capitol Mall
Little Rock, AR 72201
Training Provided: Training opportunities will vary by site but will be in-house, on the job training related to natural resources, park or trail maintenance, or interpretation.
Educational/Recreational Opportunities: Educational and recreational opportunities will vary by site but may include training in interpretation, natural resources, maintenance, trail work, kayaking, boating, snorkeling, and other outdoor-related areas.
Main Area of Focus: Visitor Services and Site Operations
AmeriCorps Eligible: Eligible
Driving Logistics: Recommended
Housing or Stipend Provided?
A. Partner will provide suitable housing for the member
Housing may not be available at all locations, but where provided will be an individual (not shared) apartment or house. Basic furnishings may be provided. Living on site is not required for local interns.
US Citizenship: Yes