This position will have a great deal of emphasis on working with the public. The incumbent will spend time working at the front desks of various Visitor Centers on the Forest answering phones, issuing wilderness permits, campfire permits and providing visitors with information of all aspects of recreational opportunities on the Sierra NF.
There will also be field time where the incumbent would work with a Forest Service employee patrolling in the dispersed recreation areas on the Forest. Field going duties may include cleaning restrooms, talking with visitors, picking up trash and taking day hikes into wilderness areas educating visitors on Leave No Trace techniques. There may also be opportunities to assist with Rec Events such as OHV Poker Runs.
This position will emphasize educating the public on LNT principles, wilderness regulations, OHV routes and regulations and fire safety principles.
The Sierra NF offers a wide range of recreational activities. Water related activities include swimming, fishing and kayaking on lakes, rivers and streams in the Forest. Additionally there is an extensive system of OHV routes that are popular with recreationists and local organized clubs.
There are several areas that are noted for providing excellent opportunities for a wide range of rock climbing challenges.
NOTE: Candidates must have experience in the following:
- Must be able to operate at least full-size 4×4 truck on unpaved roads.
- Able to navigate independently using a map
- Familiar with use of various hand/mechanical tools (shovels, rakes, drills, saw, etc.)
- Able to communicate verbally and in writing
- Main responsibilities will include
- cleaning restroom and campground facilities
- general clean up of dispersed recreation areas (trash pick up)
- Installing and repairing signs
- use and minor maintenance of FS vehicle
- learning FS rules/regulation
- making public contact and education
- $300/week living allowance
$1,100 travel allowance
$2,474 AmeriCorps Education Award
- Housing Provided by USFS
The two allowances are subject to applicable federal, state, and local taxes
Position ID: PO-00735099
Expected Dates: June 12, 2023 - September 29, 2023
57003 Rd. 225
North Fork, CA 93643
Main Area of Focus: Visitor Services and Site Operations
AmeriCorps Eligible: Eligible
Driving Logistics: Required
Housing or Stipend Provided?
B. Partner will pay The SCA to provide housing for the member
US Citizenship: Yes