The intern will be responsible for working with USFS staff at the Begich, Boggs Visitor Center in Portage, AK to implement the Every Kid Outdoors program, formerly known as the Every Kid in a Park program. The bulk of the work will take place on the Chugach National Forest.
Duties and responsibilities will include**:
- Assisting forest staff and partners in the delivery of youth programming aimed at connecting 4th graders to the Chugach National Forest at the Visitor Center.
- Working with day camps, youth organizations and schools to schedule, organize and lead field trips to the visitor center. Intern will work with a variety of forest staff and partners to develop and deliver these educational programs and field trips.
- Working to promote developed educational materials targeted at 4th graders (Jr Ranger, Family Field guide and Agents of Discovery) and helping assess usefulness of materials, while making recommendations for improvements.
- Assisting Forest staff with promoting Every Kid activities/opportunities at ongoing events across the district such as Kids Fishing Day, National Get Outdoors Day, etc.
- Developing and delivering of interpretive programming at the Visitor Center, in Portage Valley and through interpretive partnerships. Engaging public through programs, roving and work in the Visitor Center.
Desired skill sets include:
- Experience/ability to work with kids
- Public speaking
- Ability to write and communicate well with diverse audiences
- Creativity and a positive attitude
- Enjoys working outdoors in a variety of settings and weather conditions
- $1,500 – one-time RT travel allowance
- $300 – weekly living allowance
- $500 – duty-related reimbursable expenses for xtratufs and hiking boots
- $310 – monthly housing allowance (3 months; to pay for USFS bunkhouse housing)
*All allowances subject to applicable federal, state, and local taxes
It is SCA's policy that all AmeriCorps-required background checks must return cleared prior to the position's start; this includes being fingerprinted for the FBI check. Otherwise, the AmeriCorps award will be removed or the position's start date will be delayed due to non-compliance.
*For SCA's COVID-19 guidance, please refer to www.thesca.org/covid
Position ID: PO-00734844
Expected Dates: May 15, 2023 - August 20, 2023
Training Provided: This position will have the opportunity to take part in the annual seasonal interpretive training that occurs in May at the Visitor Center.
Educational/Recreational Opportunities: This position will be exposed to a variety of career professionals in the FS - at times there may opportunities for on the job training with the different staff. Girdwood also hosts an incredibly variety of recreational opportunities
Professional Development Opportunities: Training on how to develop, deliver, and modify education and interpretation programs.
Handicap Accessible?: Yes
Main Area of Focus: Visitor Services and Site Operations
AmeriCorps Eligible: Eligible
Driving Logistics: Not needed
Housing or Stipend Provided?
C.Partner will pay the SCA to provide housing allowance for the member.
Housing will be provided at the Portage Bunkhouse though the intern will pay for it through a housing allowance.
US Citizenship: Yes