The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is seeking a Visitor Services intern based in the rural Alaska town of Bethel to assist with the following duties and responsibilities:
- Provide visitor services at the Yukon Delta NWR visitor center and exhibits and run the bookstore.
- For elementary students, provide environmental education in classrooms of Bethel schools.
- Provide guided bird walks for visitors throughout the city of Bethel.
- Assist to develop environmental education programs for elementary, middle school, and high school students.
- Assist with environmental public outreach activities.
- Consistent with current COVID and safety –related guidelines, provides interpretation, environmental education, and recreation based programming for target audiences, as determined by the field station. Programming may also be virtual.
- $1,300 – one time RT travel allowance
- $600 – weekly living allowance
- $300 – reimbursable gear allowance (receipts required)
- Housing provided in a USFWS bunkhouse
*The start date is flexible. April 1 is the earliest possible date.
*All allowances subject to applicable federal, state, and local taxes
*Please note that this position is NOT eligible for an AmeriCorps education award
Please attach 1-2 page resume to application.
For SCA’s COVID guidance, please refer to www.thesca.org/covid.
Position ID: PO-00734612
Expected Dates: May 1, 2023 - October 29, 2023
807 Chief Eddie Hoffman Highway
Bethel, AK 99559
Training Provided: • Safety training - bear safety awareness and CPR/First Aid. • Communication skills training • Training with various photo/video editing programs
Educational/Recreational Opportunities: Fishing, hunting, hiking, boating, and more.
Handicap Accessible?: No
Main Area of Focus: Visitor Services and Site Operations
AmeriCorps Eligible: Not Eligible
Driving Logistics: Not needed
Housing or Stipend Provided?
A. Partner will provide suitable housing for the member
FWS bunkhouse housing.
US Citizenship: Yes