PLEASE READ: Housing is not provided. Candidates must already have or be able to find their own housing in Maui, HI.
Come join our Nā Ala Hele staff as a trail crew member in Maui, Hawaii. Nā Ala Hele is the State of Hawai‘i Trail and Access Program, created to manage public resources related to hiking. The program manages trail access and conducts trail maintenance to provide important public services including recreational opportunities, experiences related to cultural history and historic trails, and economic opportunities where possible for commercial trail vendors. Nā Ala Hele trails are also important for access into natural areas for management, research, hunting, and wildfire response.
Performs a wide variety of manual and semi-skilled jobs on forestry and wildlife work projects, support facilities, and grounds maintenance work. This position is hands-on and projects can be physically demanding.
Work may include:
- Trail construction and improvement projects: maintaining and repairing existing hiking trails and access roads, rerouting and constructing new trail, building trail features (retaining walls, steps, bridges, gates, fences, spillways, and treadway), and installing erosion control structures (grade dips and water bars)
- Survey and assess trail conditions: documenting trail damage, identifying and mitigating hazards, removing brush overgrowth, and clearing blowdowns and removing fallen trees
- Inventory and upkeep of signage: maintaining and installing trail and hazardous signs
The work week will be 5 days, 8 hours per day, and may include evening and weekend work. Conditions often require working outside in inclement weather and may require walking long distances over rough terrain while carrying equipment each day.
- $300 – weekly living allowance
- $800 – monthly housing allowance
- $1,500 – one time RT travel allowance
- AmeriCorps eligible ($2,474.27 Education Award)
*All allowances subject to applicable federal, state, and local taxes
*Please provide an attached 1-2 page resume and up-to-date references with your SCA application*
It is SCA's policy that all AmeriCorps-required background checks must return cleared prior to the position's start; this includes being fingerprinted for the FBI check. Otherwise, the AmeriCorps award will be removed or the position's start date will be delayed due to non-compliance.
*For SCA's COVID-19 guidance, please refer to www.thesca.org/covid
Position ID: PO-00734786
Expected Dates: May 1, 2023 - September 3, 2023
685 Haleakalā Highway
Kahului, HI 96732
Training Provided: Trail building and maintenance; use of hand tools and small equipment; use of personal protective equipment and personal safety; radio use; and environmental hazards.
Educational/Recreational Opportunities: Gain knowledge and experience in trail construction and maintenance; learn about Hawaii’s natural and cultural resources. During your time off, enjoy hiking, kayaking, biking, backpacking, fishing, and hunting opportunities.
Handicap Accessible?: No
Main Area of Focus: Backcountry/Trail work
AmeriCorps Eligible: Eligible
Driving Logistics: Recommended
Vehicle is recommended. Recreational transportation is not available. Applicants will need their own mode of transportation to and from the DOFAW baseyard.
Housing or Stipend Provided?
C.Partner will pay the SCA to provide housing allowance for the member.
US Citizenship: Yes