Interns will perform trail maintenance and construction, cabin maintenance and developed recreation site maintenance (80%). They may also perform stream bank and wetlands restoration (20%). All duties are performed in the field using a variety of power and non-power tools including shovels, Pulaski, rock bars, chainsaws, and brush cutters. This is a multi-discipline position working for a Forest Service district recreation program. Interns need to bring a positive attitude, willingness to work in inclement (wet) weather, long days and spiked out in remote field camps.
Field Season Specific Duties Include:
- Working as a trail crew member maintaining and reconstructing hiking trails.
- Working as a crew member maintaining and repairing developed and disperse recreation sites.
- Working as a crew member maintaining public use cabins.
- Working as a crew member assisting wildlife and fisheries biologists in data collection, waterfowl nest island maintenance and streambank restoration.
- Assisting in public information/education outreach including trail hikes, campfire education programs, and special events.
- $1,500 – RT travel allowance
- $350 – weekly living allowance
- $300 – monthly housing allowance (for bunkhouse housing)
- AmeriCorps eligibility (education award of $1,718.25)
*All allowances subject to applicable federal, state, and local taxes
It is SCA's policy that all AmeriCorps-required background checks must return cleared prior to the position's start; this includes being fingerprinted for the FBI check. Otherwise, the AmeriCorps award will be removed or the position's start date will be delayed due to non-compliance.
*For SCA's COVID-19 guidance, please refer to www.thesca.org/covid
Position ID: PO-00735237
Expected Dates: May 22, 2023 - September 8, 2023
Post Office Box 280
612 2nd Street
Cordova, AK 99574
Training Provided: Training opportunities: • FS Chainsaw Operation Certification. • FS ATV Operation Certification. • FS Vehicle Safe Operation Certification. • FS Boat Passenger Training. • FS Bear Behavior/Bear Spray Training. • First Aid/CPR/AED Certification.
Handicap Accessible?: Yes
Main Area of Focus: Backcountry/Trail work
AmeriCorps Eligible: Eligible
Driving Logistics: Not needed
Housing or Stipend Provided?
A. Partner will provide suitable housing for the member
Bunkhouse on administrative site for both male and female. Each individual is issued a tent for camping while spiked in the field.
US Citizenship: Yes