All work is conducted under the supervision of biologists or senior technicians. Routine travel will be required paid for by the Service. Tours of duty will routinely include weekends during the open water fishing season (May-September). Potential duty stations include: New Franken, WI; Milwaukee, WI; Michigan City, IN; Charlevoix, MI; and Alpena, MI. All training and equipment is provided. Valid drivers license, personal credit card, and personal vehicle are required.
Please note that this position will include overnight travel. Expenses incurred will be reimbursed with receipts. A personal credit card is required. Duty travel will depend on the internship location. All travel and meals will be reimbursed and a personal credit card is required for travel. Candidates can expect their estimated duty travel as follows:
Team/Location and weeks of travel:
New Franken, WI – 4 weeks
Milwaukee, WI – 2 weeks
Michigan City, IN – 7 weeks
Charlevoix, MI – 9 weeks
The primary duties of this position include:
- Engage anglers at tournaments, assist at fish cleaning stations to process salmon and trout to recovery tags and biological data (60%)
- Extracting and reading tags from recovered fish (30%)
- Entering and proofing field and lab data (10%)
– $600/week* Living Allowance (equivalent to $15/hr.)
– $1,100* Travel Allowance, paid once with first paycheck
– Eligible for an AmeriCorps Education Award of $4,546.50, received upon successful completion of the position
– Eligible for the Public Land Corps (PLC) hiring authority upon successful completion of position
– Housing is not provided. Rental housing will need to be obtained.
*All allowances subject to applicable federal, state, and local taxes.
It is SCA's policy that all AmeriCorps-required background checks must return cleared results prior to the position's start; this includes being fingerprinted for the FBI check. Otherwise, the AmeriCorps award will be removed or the position's start date will be delayed due to non-compliance.
For SCA’s COVID guidance, please refer to www.thesca.org/covid
Position ID: PO-00735073
Expected Dates: May 22, 2023 - December 31, 2023
2661 Scott Tower Dr
New Franken, WI 54229-9565
Training Provided: Training in fish identification, tag recovery and ready, and biological surveys.
Educational/Recreational Opportunities: Gain on-the-job training in natural resource management. Abundant hiking, biking, fishing and other recreation opportunities throughout NE Wisconsin.
Handicap Accessible?: Yes
Main Area of Focus: Natural Resources Mgmt
AmeriCorps Eligible: Eligible
Driving Logistics: Required
Will likely need transportation from residence to Field Office.
Housing or Stipend Provided?
D. No housing is available
US Citizenship: Yes