For SCA’s COVID guidance, please refer to www.thesca.org/covid.
Become a Park Ranger Aide and provide direct services to the community through the Bureau of Land Management Westwater Program. This position is a great opportunity to learn about outdoor recreation and federal land management. Join us to receive practical experience in land management, work closely with land management professionals to learn about resource management plans, and gain experience in allocated permit systems and travel management planning.
– Perform environmental education and manage events and visitors in relation to environmental stewardship.
– Interns will work alongside seasoned Park Rangers and will perform a variety of tasks:
– Compliance checks of permitted boaters at the Westwater Ranger station to ensure they have required safety equipment and understand the need for resource protection
– Boater assistance and providing information to visitors
– Performing light maintenance of camping and launch area facilities and equipment
– Conducting river patrols in class III and IV whitewater to monitor resource conditions, campsite inspections, clean campsites, and check boater compliance
– Assisting the River Rangers in compiling river use data
– Monitoring of Westwater Canyon Wilderness Study Area by 4-wheel drive vehicle, foot, UTV, and/or bicycle/motorcycle.
– Disseminating information to motorized recreationists in areas adjacent to Westwater Canyon
- $1,100 – one time RT travel allowance
- $300 – weekly living allowance
- $4,546.50 – AmeriCorps Education Award
- Housing provided
*All allowances subject to applicable federal, state, and local taxes
Position ID: PO-00734805
Expected Dates: March 6, 2023 - October 29, 2023
82 Dogwood Avenue
Moab, UT 84532
Training Provided: On the job training will be provided in following areas - Management of a permitted river system - Implementation of a travel management plan - Campground Management - White water rafting skills - Data collection and reporting
Educational/Recreational Opportunities: Individuals placed at the westwater ranger station will be located near world class mountain biking, hiking, rafting , rock climbing trail running and 4x4 trails.
Handicap Accessible?: Yes
Main Area of Focus: Recreation Mgmt
AmeriCorps Eligible: Eligible
Driving Logistics: Required
Westwater is an isolate location. The member will need a vehicle to buy groceries.
Housing or Stipend Provided?
A. Partner will provide suitable housing for the member
The housing is bunkhouse style housing with private bedrooms and a shared kitchen and bathroom.
US Citizenship: Yes