The Cadillac-Manistee Ranger District is seeking a motivated SCA member to assist with monitoring threatened, endangered, and sensitive wildlife species and their habitats in the Manistee National Forest. This position is ideal for someone with a can-do attitude, who can solve problems and function independently in remote conditions, as well as in close quarters with others. We're looking for someone who is willing to work hard, and who can get the job done safely and with minimal instruction. Position is a good match for someone interested in pursuing a career in wildlife biology.
- To monitor and protect nesting Great Lakes Piping Plovers in the Nordhouse Dunes Wilderness area on the Lake Michigan shoreline. Piping plover monitoring will generally require walking up to 5 miles per day over uneven terrain with a spotting scope and camera gear while collecting scientific data. (70% of time)
- To conduct outreach to the public regarding piping plovers and their habitat. (5 % of time)
- In addition to plover monitoring related duties, the member will gain experience conducting surveys for rare birds, turtles, and snakes; radio-telemetry monitoring; and implementing wildlife habitat improvement projects. (25% of time)
Housing is provided in an on-site bunkhouse with kitchen and bathroom facilities in an adjacent building. Personal vehicle is recommended for personal errands, but a government vehicle will be provided for field work.
– $300/week Living Allowance*
– $1,100 Travel Allowance*, paid once with first paycheck
– Housing on-site
– Eligible for AmeriCorps Education Award of $1,718.25, to be received upon successful completion of position
– Hours served can be applied toward the Public Land Corps (PLC) hiring authority
*All allowances subject to applicable federal, state, and local taxes.
It is SCA’s policy that all AmeriCorps-required background checks must return cleared results prior to the position’s start; this includes being fingerprinted for the FBI check. Otherwise, the AmeriCorps award will be removed or the position’s start date will be delayed due to non-compliance.
*For SCA's COVID-19 guidance, please refer to www.thesca.org/covid
Position ID: PO-00734955
Expected Dates: May 1, 2023 - July 23, 2023
1170 Nursery Road
Wellston, MI 49689
Training Provided: Training on wildlife surveys, defensive driving, use of map and compass.
Educational/Recreational Opportunities: Experience surveying for and improving the habitat of endangered, threatened, and sensitive species. Off-duty recreational opportunities include but not limited to; hiking, fishing, wildlife viewing, swimming, kayaking, canoeing,
Main Area of Focus: Wildlife Mgmt
AmeriCorps Eligible: Eligible
Driving Logistics: Recommended
A dollar store with some amenities is within 1 mile of the office/bunk house, but the nearest grocery store is 5 miles away.
Housing or Stipend Provided?
A. Partner will provide suitable housing for the member
Bunkhouse quarters with kitchen and bathroom facilities in a separate building approximately 150 feet away. Bedroom is typically shared one other employee/intern. Bunkhouse quarters are located on-site at the Cadillac-Manistee Ranger Station where intern will report to work during the week. The Ranger Station is located approximately 1 mile from the small town of Wellston, MI.
US Citizenship: Yes