For SCA’s COVID guidance, please refer to www.thesca.org/covid.
Join a team of dedicated rangers working to help visitors appreciate, understand, and appropriately enjoy the stunning red rock desert of The Needles district in Canyonlands National Park. Duties include:
- Staffing the visitor center desk to provide orientation, answer questions, help visitors plan backcountry trips, and assist in the sale of bookstore merchandise, 50%;
- Collecting fees at an entrance station, 10%;
- Developing and presenting formal and informal interpretive programs which may include patio talks, evening programs, and "pop-up" programs on trails, 10%;
- Attending formal and informal training to learn about park resources and operations, 10%;
- Roving scenic overlooks and park trails to contact visitors, 10%; and
- Assisting park staff with various projects, 10%.
Successful applicants will have:
- Ability to work independently on assigned projects while being an engaged, collaborative member of a team.
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude and consistently be courteous and polite to visitors.
- Skill at oral communication and tactful discussion of controversial subject matter.
- A valid state-issued driver's license and be at least eighteen years of age.
- $1,100 – one time RT travel allowance
- $300 – weekly living allowance
- Reimbursement of uniform pants (up to $50)
*All allowances subject to applicable federal, state, and local taxes
NOTE: The park is in a remote location with no cellular service. Candidates need to be comfortable living in an area with extremely limited human interaction and connectivity.
*This Internship is Not Eligible for an AmeriCorps Education Award.
Position ID: PO-00734553
Expected Dates: August 6, 2023 - December 9, 2023
2282 SW Resource Blvd
Moab, UT 84532
Training Provided: A full, one-week training is offered by area experts on the natural and cultural history of the area, interpretive skills and NPS operations, along with many on-the-job opportunities.
Educational/Recreational Opportunities: The nearby Henry & La Sal Mountains are cool forest retreats and fifteen other state & national park sites within a day’s drive make for amazing weekend getaways. Moab, an adventure-sport mecca, is only 72 miles away.
Handicap Accessible?: No
Main Area of Focus: Education and Interpretation
AmeriCorps Eligible: Not Eligible
Driving Logistics: Required
no public transit to basic amenities
Housing or Stipend Provided?
A. Partner will provide suitable housing for the member
Housing is a shared park apartment or house with private bedroom. Basic kitchen dishware/cookware and utensils are provided. You should bring your own bedding, towels, toiletries, and other needed personal items. Washer/dryer and workout facilities are available.
US Citizenship: Yes