For SCA’s COVID guidance, please refer to www.thesca.org/covid.
Join a team of dedicated rangers at Canyonlands National Park's Island in the Sky district working to help visitors appreciate, understand, and appropriately enjoy this stunning red rock desert. Responsibilities include:
- Staff the visitor center desk to provide orientation, answer questions, collect fees, and help visitors plan backcountry trips, 65%;
- Rove scenic overlooks and park trails, 10%;
- Research and present informal or formal talks or programs, 10%;
- Attend training 10%; and
- Assist park staff with various projects, 5%.
Successful applicants will have:
- Ability to work independently on assigned projects while being an engaged, collaborative member of a team.
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude and consistently be courteous and polite to visitors.
- Skill at oral communication and tactful discussion of controversial subject matter.
- A valid state-issued driver's license and be at least eighteen years of age.
- $1,100 – one time RT travel allowance
- $300 – weekly living allowance
- Reimbursement of uniform pants (up to $50)
*All allowances subject to applicable federal, state, and local taxes
*Please note this position is NOT eligible for an AmeriCorps education award
Position ID: PO-00734551
Expected Dates: September 3, 2023 - January 27, 2024
2282 Resource Blvd.
Moab, UT 84532
Training Provided: Natural and cultural history; interpretive skills; backcountry roving; trail monitoring; fee collection; issuing permits.
Educational/Recreational Opportunities: Opportunity for 3-day White Rim backcountry orientation trip. There are many natural areas, national parks and state parks close-by and within a few hours drive.
Handicap Accessible?: Yes
Main Area of Focus: Education and Interpretation
AmeriCorps Eligible: Not Eligible
Driving Logistics: Required
There is no public transportation available to basic services. A car is required for trips to Moab and the many national & state parks in the area.
Housing or Stipend Provided?
Partner will provide suitable housing for the member
Housing is a shared park apartment or house with private bedroom. Household might be coed. Pets are not allowed. Basic kitchen dishware/cookware and utensils are provided. You should bring your own bedding, towels, toiletries and other needed personal items. Washer/dryer and workout facilities are available. Housing is located in the park, which is a 45-minute drive from Moab, UT.
US Citizenship: Yes