Intern service will average 20 hours per week.
With guidance from, and under the direction of, the Conservation Team, the National Estuary Program (NEP) Watershed Grant Intern will assist and shadow Conservation staff through the planning, development, installation and monitoring of NEP created and/or restored wetland habitats. This position involves hands-on work in restoring and maintaining wetland resources, and by association, will also include hands-on work at the HPB Conservation Nursery preparing plant materials for the project site.
Main responsibilities include:
- Creation, replanting and rebuilding of wetlands as part of the NEP Watershed Grant
- Capable of working effectively in the field with minimal guidance
- Natural resource management tasks, such as herbicide and/or mechanical control of invasive species
- Work collaboratively in the field with other conservation staff, volunteers and contractors on conservation projects
- Vegetation inventory/assessment of wetland project sites as part of the NEP Watershed Grant
- Regular meetings with Conservation Team
- Additional duties as required
Living Allowance $400 per week (Intern service will average 20 hours per week)
Commuter Allowance $28 per week
Conditions of Employment:
For SCA’s COVID guidance, please refer to www.thesca.org/covid
Position ID: PO-00735764
Expected Dates: January 8, 2024 - June 21, 2024
12800 Texaco Road
Houston, TX 77013
Training Provided: This position is intended specifically to train the intern in procedures for project development, management and final installation.
Educational/Recreational Opportunities: Plant identification workshops (both educational and training)
Handicap Accessible?: Yes
Main Area of Focus: Natural Resources Mgmt
AmeriCorps Eligible: Not Eligible
Driving Logistics: Required
Sites are located along the Bayou Greenways which are spread across a wide part of Houston.
Housing or Stipend Provided?
D. No housing is available
US Citizenship: Yes