*This position requires that you become enrolled in AmeriCorps. If you are selected for this program please be sure to accept AmeriCorps during the SCA offer process. No travel allowance will be offered for this position even if it is stated on your confirmation of acceptance.*
Calling all hikers! Come protect the scenic Zoar Valley, a hidden gem of Western New York!
The Natural Resources Steward will assist the Department of Environmental Conservation in educating and informing visitors of the safe and property use of Zoar Valley Multiple Use and Unique Areas and East Otto State Forest.
This position requires the willingness and ability to navigate by foot and work alone at times in remote, rugged terrain and during inclement weather conditions. You may be required to work weekends. Most days will be spent in the field. The ability to use a map and compass (or GPS unit) is important. Strong communication and interpersonal skills are important.
Member Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide information and education to visitors relating to the proper use and protection of the natural resources
- Promote Leave-No-Trace practices
- Inspect trails and campsites to determine condition and maintenance requirements
- Perform routine maintenance on trails and campsites using hand tools (e.g., axe, bow saw, loppers, etc.) including the removal of garbage
- Inspect signage, replace as needed on trails, parking areas, trail heads and property boundaries.
- Assist with other SCA and volunteer trail maintenance projects
- Under the direction of a Forest Ranger, assist in back country emergencies, including search, rescue, injuries, and evacuations
- Prepare and submit reports relating to daily activities, public use, maintenance needs, and special reports as needed
Requirements for Service
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Must have a personal vehicle
- Must be a Citizen, National or Lawful Permanent Residing Alien of the US
- Must have ankle high hiking boots with lug sole and rain gear, orienteering-style compass, etc.
- Must be physically capable of performing field work common to the assigned work area, traveling over rough terrain, and during inclement weather
Necessary Job Skills:
- Land navigation/Hiking
- Field Research
- Trail Maintenance
- Interested in environmental conservation, forestry, natural resources management, ecology and/or biology.
- Campsites, trail heads and parking areas inspected
- Public Education
- Resource Protection
$160/week living allowance
$570/month housing allowance if housing is not provided
$80 reimbursement for work pants
$1,718 AmeriCorps Education Award upon successful completion of your term of service
Eligibility for Federal Student Loan forbearance and interest payment deferment through AmeriCorps for qualifying student loans.
*All Allowances are subject to applicable federal, state, and local taxes.
If you have any questions or would like more information about opportunities with the Natural Resource Stewards, do not hesitate to contact Victoria Yargeau at [email protected] or call 571-895-1742 between the hours of 9 AM – 5 PM (EST).
For SCA’s COVID guidance, please refer towww.thesca.org/covid
Position ID: PO-00734918
Expected Dates: May 22, 2023 - September 10, 2023
182 East Union St. Suite 3
Allegany, NY 14706
Training Provided: • 4-Day SCA orientation • Trail tool safety • DEC / Radio Rules and Regulations • First Aid • Anti-Harassment Training • Driver Safety Training
Educational/Recreational Opportunities: Staff will be available to meet and train candidates to help them acclimate to the work area. The two properties combined are over 4,300 acres. There are many hiking, camping and fishing opportunities nearby.
Professional Development Opportunities: A professional development series is hosted by the New York State SCA Program Coordinators over one month. Dates TBD but topics include:
- Resume Workshop
- Job Board Navigation
- How to Interview
- Intro to GIS/GPS
Handicap Accessible?: No
Main Area of Focus: Education and Interpretation
AmeriCorps Eligible: Eligible
Driving Logistics: Required
May be required to use personal vehicle for job duties. A vehicle is required to reach groceries and other amenities.
Housing or Stipend Provided?
C.Partner will pay the SCA to provide housing allowance for the member.
US Citizenship: Yes