* This position requires that you become enrolled in AmeriCorps. If you are selected for this program please be sure to accept AmeriCorps during the SCA offer process. No travel allowance will be offered for this position even if it is stated on your confirmation of acceptance.*
Calling all hikers! Come help protect the scenic Adirondack Park while gaining valuable conservation skills by becoming a Natural Resource Steward!
The Student Conservation Association, in collaboration with the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, seeks to place an intern in Old Forge, NY, located in the Central-Western Adirondack mountains. This intern will work for a duration of 16 weeks alongside personnel from the NYSDEC on projects that help preserve and protect this unique natural resource. The intern will receive a weekly living stipend and will be eligible to receive an AmeriCorps Education award at the completion of their service.
The intern will gain valuable resource management skills and perform a variety of duties which involve the preservation, protection and enhancement of the natural resources and the safety and well-being of the public using these resources.
Requirements to Serve:
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Must have a personal vehicle
- Must be a Citizen, National or Lawful Permanent Residing Alien of the US
Member Duties and Responsibilities:
- Educating the public on the proper use of public lands, and providing information on trail conditions and Rules and Regulations
- Educating the public regarding current topics that could influence fragile ecosystems
- Notifying the Forest Ranger and Forester with respect to potential problems such as those involving hazardous trail conditions, public use, and emergencies that they encounter
- Performing minor maintenance (such as removing blowdown, installing, or replacing trail markers and signs, cleaning drainage devices, fencing;) and work with other staff as requested
- Monitoring human visitation patterns, ecosystem condition
- Performing first aid and CPR in emergencies
- Providing support for existing volunteer networks
Necessary Job Skills:
- Physically fit to hike/work in rugged terrain in remote areas
- Willingness and ability to work alone and independently
- Willingness to work in inclement weather conditions
- Ability to properly read and use a map and compass
- Strong backpacking and general outdoor skills are essential
- Willingness to learn
- Self-starter/independent worker
- Critical thinker
- Solid people skills
- Interest in the outdoors
- Encourage responsible recreational use by the public
- Improve recreational infrastructure such as trails and designated campsites
- Support recreational impact monitoring efforts
- Candidate to gain experience in public land management
$160/week living allowance
$570/month housing allowance if housing is not provided
$80 reimbursement for work pants
$1,718 AmeriCorps Education Award upon successful completion of your term of service
Eligibility for Federal Student Loan forbearance and interest payment deferment through AmeriCorps for qualifying student loans.
*All Allowances are subject to applicable federal, state, and local taxes.
If you have any questions or would like more information about opportunities with the Natural Resource Stewards, do not hesitate to contact Victoria Yargeau at [email protected] or call 571-895-1742 between the hours of 9 AM – 5 PM (EST).
For SCA’s COVID guidance, please refer to www.thesca.org/covid
Position ID: PO-00734914
Expected Dates: May 22, 2023 - September 10, 2023
Training Provided: • 4-Day SCA orientation • Trail tool safety • DEC / Radio Rules and Regulations • First Aid • Anti-Harassment Training • Driver Safety Training • On-the-job orientation and further training in the field as required
Educational/Recreational Opportunities: Numerous outdoor recreational opportunities in the area.
Professional Development Opportunities: Professional Development Opportunities: A professional development series is hosted by the New York State SCA Program Coordinators over one month. Dates TBD but topics include:
- Resume Workshop
- Job Board Navigation
- How to Interview
- Intro to GIS/GPS
Main Area of Focus: Backcountry/Trail work
AmeriCorps Eligible: Eligible
Driving Logistics: Required
Will be driving to different trail sites.
Housing or Stipend Provided?
C.Partner will pay the SCA to provide housing allowance for the member.
US Citizenship: Yes