Land Between the Lakes Restoration Corps Team
Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area manages over 170,000 acres of forests, wetlands, and open lands on a peninsula between Kentucky and Barkley lakes in Western Kentucky and Tennessee. With access to over 300 miles of undeveloped shoreline, 200 miles of paved roads, and 500 miles of trail, this team of 1 leader and 3 members will be tasked with constructing and restoring kiosks that deliver pertinent information to guests and associates.
The team will stay at frontcountry campsites. SCA will provide all necessary support services, crew leadership, transportation, personal safety equipment, and other standard materials/supplies necessary to perform the work.
June 12 – 22: Crew member training
June 23 – September 22: Project work
- Engage as a crew member to promote healthy group dynamics, and promote effective and productive teamwork;
- Work variable hours (long days and/or weekend), at remote locations, on difficult and hazardous terrain, in varying weather conditions, and under physically demanding circumstances;
- Use technical equipment including hand tools.
Strong candidates will have the following knowledge, skills, experience:
- Experience working in an outdoor setting;
- Coursework or degree in environmental science, or similar natural resource field;
- Some experience operating forestry or carpentry equipment in a safe and efficient manner (chainsaws, power tools, two-way radio, etc.);
- Ability to complete tasks independently with respect to timeline(s);
- Positive communication skills and ability to work with a team.
- Excel in team environment
- Emotionally mature
- Valid driver’s license and motor vehicle record (MVR) that meets SCA standards required;
- Interest in serving alongside and supporting others on a team;
- Be a minimum of 18 years of age;
- Have ability to legally work in the US;
- Meet SCA’s criminal background check standards;
- Ability to lift 40 pounds and independently travel 2 miles over varied terrain while carrying a 40-pound pack without assistance;
- Ability to perform manual, physical labor in a variety of outdoor conditions for up to 8-10 hours per day;
- Willingness to camp for minimum 14 consecutive nights;
- Willingness to complete some project paperwork including project reports, output logs, and inventories;
- With training, ability to use hand tools and power tools to complete assigned work projects.
Member Compensation Details:
- Housing or campsite (SCA to provide tents and camp cooking equipment)
- Meals included on workdays
- One-time travel allowance: $650 once
- Weekly living allowance: $300 / week
- Eligible for an AmeriCorps Education award upon successful completion of position valued at: $1,638
- Wilderness First Aid, SCA member training, and training on specific job tasks
*For SCA's COVID-19 guidance, please refer to www.thesca.org/covid
Position ID: PO-00731524
Expected Dates: June 12, 2023 - September 22, 2023
Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area
Golden Pond, KY 42211
Training Provided: - SCA trails training - Wilderness medical training
Professional Development Opportunities:
|- UTV / ATV training likely|
- S-212 Chainsaw Training possible
- SCA trails training
- Wilderness medical training
Main Area of Focus: Natural Resources Mgmt
AmeriCorps Eligible: Eligible
Housing or Stipend Provided?
A. Partner will provide suitable housing for the member
Brandon Spring Dormitory