This position will be part of a four member crew comprising the Morris-Big Stone Strategic Weed Assault Team (SWAT). The crew will be dedicated solely to mapping and treating invasive plant species in high quality and highly threatened prairies across the project area. Work will take place on National Wildlife Refuge System Lands in Morris Wetland Management District, Big Stone National Wildlife Refuge/Wetland Management District, and Northern Tallgrass Prairie National Wildlife Refuge.
Candidates must be:
- comfortable using herbicides (all necessary protective gear will be provided)
- capable of working outdoors, in remote locations
- capable of carrying 40 pounds
Any needed technical training will be provided, however ideal candidates would have:
- a working knowledge of plant identification
- experience with invasive species control (both chemical and hand control)
- experience using mobile data collection apps like FieldMaps and Survey123
– $300/week* Living Allowance
– $1,100* round-trip Travel Allowance, paid once
– $600/month* Housing Allowance
– Eligible for Public Land Corps Hiring Authority (upon completion of 640 hours work)
*All allowances subject to applicable federal, state, and local taxes.*
Note: This position is not eligible for the AmeriCorps education award.
*For SCA's COVID-19 guidance, please refer to www.thesca.org/covid
Position ID: PO-00732789
Expected Dates: June 12, 2023 - September 29, 2023
43875 230th St.
Morris, MN 56267
Training Provided: - invasive and native plant identification - safe use of herbicides, hand tools, and other invasive species control methods - ATV/UTV safety training - Minnesota Pesticide Applicator License - Mobile data collection using FieldMaps and Survey123
Educational/Recreational Opportunities: This rural area has abundant opportunities for outdoor recreation, including camping, hiking, birdwatching, hunting and fishing. Larger metropolitan areas are just a 2 hour drive away.
Handicap Accessible?: Yes
Main Area of Focus: Natural Resources Mgmt
AmeriCorps Eligible: Not Eligible
Driving Logistics: Recommended
The nearest rental housing and campground options are at least 4 miles from the headquarters of either office, on roads that are not friendly to cyclists.
Housing or Stipend Provided?
C.Partner will pay the SCA to provide housing allowance for the member.
US Citizenship: Yes