The Valentine National Wildlife Refuge(NWR) Invasive Species and Prairie Management Specialist will carry out much needed control of invasive plants threatening Sandhill Prairie, wetland and marsh habitats, which are critical to migrating and breeding birds, as well as other species of wildlife. Control methods include cutting and digging with hand tools, ATV-mowing equipment and herbicide application. Experience using GIS is a plus. All positions (depending on qualifications of applicants) may also help with other biological duties as assigned. Technicians and aids should have the ability to work independently and as part of a team, tolerate working outdoors in all conditions (heat, cold, rain, insects, etc), physical ability to hike while carrying tools, and have a valid driver’s license. Training in driving ATV/UTV's will be given as well. A bunkhouse is available, with shared kitchen and living space. Positions are expected to last 6 months.
- Documenting locations and treatments applied to invasive plants using GPS and GIS technology. (60%)
- Conducting annual monitoring of rare plants; monitoring effects of the grassland grazing program; and habitat mapping. (20%)
- Other biological surveys and maintenance projects.(20%)
– $400/week* Living Allowance
– $1,100* To/From Travel Allowance, paid once with first paycheck
– Housing provided on-site
– Eligible for AmeriCorps Education Award of $3,247.50, received upon successful completion of position
– Eligible for the Public Land Corps (PLC) hiring authority upon successful completion of position (640hrs minimum of service)
*All Allowances are subject to applicable federal, state, and local taxes
It is SCA's policy that all AmeriCorps-required background checks must return cleared results prior to the position's start; this includes being fingerprinted for the FBI check. Otherwise, the AmeriCorps award will be removed or the position's start date will be delayed due to non-compliance.
For SCA’s COVID guidance, please refer to www.thesca.org/covid.
Position ID: PO-00734884
Expected Dates: May 15, 2023 - November 12, 2023
39679 Pony Lake Road
Valentine, NE 69201
Training Provided: ATV/UTV training, Invasive and Native plant identification, Invasive Species Control training, Herbicide Application training,
Educational/Recreational Opportunities: Various trainings will be available to the member. There are many different opportunities for outdoor recreation including fishing, hunting, hiking, and many other outdoor recreational pursuits in the nearby town of Valentine.
Handicap Accessible?: No
Main Area of Focus: Natural Resources Mgmt
AmeriCorps Eligible: Eligible
Driving Logistics: Required
Access to amenities are approximately 30 miles away.
Housing or Stipend Provided?
A. Partner will provide suitable housing for the member
Bunkhouse with shared kitchen and living space is available free of charge.
US Citizenship: Yes