Invasive Plant Technician (PO-00735252)

This position will cover hands-on learning opportunities with a variety of skills as a member of the park’s invasive plant management team.  Work will consist primarily of serving as a crew-member on a 4-5 person field crew removing non-native plants from the park using herbicide as well as with manual and mechanical methods. The intern will be provided the opportunity to study for and take the Maine State Pesticide Applicator exam to obtain a pesticide applicator license. The intern will also participate in forest insect pest surveys and management, and native plant salvage and restoration efforts to restore native plant communities.  

Compensation amounts (pre-tax):
– $485 weekly Living Allowance
– $1,100 To/From site travel expense allowance (car required)
– AmeriCorps Education Award: $1,718 (based upon successful completion of this position).

It is SCA’s policy that all AmeriCorps-required background checks must return cleared results prior to the position’s start; this includes being fingerprinted for the FBI check. Otherwise, the AmeriCorps award will be removed or the position’s start date will be delayed due to non-compliance.

For SCA’s COVID guidance, please refer to


Position ID: PO-00735252

Expected Dates: September 4, 2023 - December 22, 2023

20 McFarland Hill Dr.
Bar Harbor, ME 04609

Training Provided: Herbicide use and handling training, First Aid/CPR (if available), Orientation to Acadia and NPS, other training offered at the park as available.

Educational/Recreational Opportunities: Intern will learn how to identify native and non-native plants, monitor vegetation using NPS protocols, and learn how to collect field data using tablets. There is hiking, biking, climbing, paddling, and much more available in the area.

Handicap Accessible?: No

Main Area of Focus: Natural Resources Mgmt

Further Details

AmeriCorps Eligible: Eligible

Driving Logistics: Required

Personal vehicle needed for convenience during personal time, but will likely be needed for work based on housing location.

Housing or Stipend Provided?
A. Partner will provide suitable housing for the member

Housing will be government furnished housing units, usually a shared apartment or house.  All units include a bed and general furnishings.  The intern will need to bring linens, kitchen wares, and bathroom supplies.

Indoor/Outdoor: Outside

US Citizenship: No

Student Conservation Association