Join our staff at Perry's Victory and International Peace Memorial in Lake Erie, Put-in-Bay. Interns will help in developing and presenting formal interpretive programs and talks on the island. Program presentations could include Battle of Lake Erie and the War of 1812, the construction of the monument, peace and the natural environment. Interns will also receive training on how to give historic weapons demonstrations and assist with Junior Ranger programs.
- Perform roving/informal interpretation and an informal living history.
- Working at visitor centers to assist visitors.
- Provide information and orientation to the park.
- Serve as a front-line representative greeting customers and answering questions.
- Create social media materials or other products.
- Assist with special programming and events.
- Operates a variety of audiovisual and other equipment used in connection with interpretive material, e.g., audio equipment, microphones, video equipment, and distance learning equipment.
- Work an open-air observation deck 317 feet above Lake Erie.
- Living allowance: $650*/week
- Travel Allowance:$650*, one-time payment
- AmeriCorps award eligible up to $1,718.35* after successful completion of the position.
- Eligible for Public Land Corps credits upon successful completion of the position.
*Subject to local, state, and federal taxes.
This position is set to start on July 17th but is flexible to start in June or July.
The work week will be 5 days, 8 hours per day, and will include evening and weekend work. Conditions often require working outside in wet, cool, rainy weather.
Interns may be required to stand for long periods of time on granite or hard surfaces, walking for long distances, climbing and descend steep inclines, including walking up and down 50+ stairs multiple times a day.
This position is ideal for outgoing individuals or those looking to obtain the skills needed for a career in the visitor services sector.
Position ID: PO-00735496
Expected Dates: July 17, 2023 - October 29, 2023
93 Delaware St.
Put-in-Bay, OH 43456
Training Provided: Historic weapons training
Handicap Accessible?: No
Main Area of Focus: Visitor Services and Site Operations
AmeriCorps Eligible: Eligible
Driving Logistics: Recommended
A Ferry can bring a personal vehicle to the island if the intern desires to bring their vehicle. Government vehicles can be used to get around the site during the work day. A bicycle would suffice for getting around while off duty.
Housing or Stipend Provided?
A. Partner will provide suitable housing for the member
The park has several two bedroom apartments looked onsite near the monument. The park strives to limit staff to one person to bedroom. However, if the need arises volunteers are asked to double up. Apartments are fully furnished. Some rooms have twin size beds while others have a queen size beds. Each apartment has a galley kitchen and washer and dryer. WiFi internet is also provided.
US Citizenship: Yes