The Horticulturalist Intern will assist the park's cultural landscape staff in all aspects of caring for the site's historic cultural landscape. The intern will work with a highly skilled team of landscape maintenance staff and will perform various duties in the upkeep and preservation of the exceptional gardens and grounds at Saint Gaudens NHP. The park includes 29 structures 20 of which are historic structures with rich histories and unique architecture, and a cultural landscape including formal flower gardens, cutting gardens, rock gardens, hemlock hedges, specimen trees, shrubs, walkways, and Class "A" turf. The park also includes 190 acres, and the largest museum collection of Augustus Saint Gaudens work in the world.
The intern will experience the full range of behind-the-scenes preservation and maintenance activities that are involved in managing a nationally significant historic landscape. The position will work with the park's professional staff including the park's gardener who will provide guidance, mentoring, training and supervision. The position may also require the intern to work independently on basic projects and assignments.
Projects and experiences: Once selected, you will become a member of our dynamic, skilled and motivated landscape maintenance team. Together we will harness the power of teamwork, innovation, and perseverance, to care for this unique national park while demonstrating the best of sustainability practices and creating outstanding visitor experiences. Your primary duties will involve assisting our professional gardener in the performance of their work. Daily work is performed according to prescribed plans or specific directions including detailed methods and tools. Working with the park's gardener and grounds crew, you will assist with:
- The preservation of historically and/or botanically significant plants
- Flower garden maintenance including planting, watering, dead heading, weeding, fertilizing, flower arranging, assisting with bedding plant selection, and layout, and other summer and fall maintenance tasks.
- Hedge maintenance including pruning, mulching, fertilizing, watering, IPM (Integrated Pest Management), etc
- Shrub and vine maintenance including pruning, mulching, watering, fertilizing, IPM, etc.
- Estate tree maintenance including watering, mulching, fertilizing, IPM
- Turf maintenance including fertilizing, watering, IPM
- Assist the gardener with the diagnosis of plant nutrition and pest control deeds, fertilization and herbicides.
- Trail and gravel road maintenance
- Maintenance of small engine equipment
Compensation amounts (pre-tax):
– $300 weekly Living Allowance
– $1,050 monthly Housing Allowance
– $1,100 To/From site travel expense reimbursement (car required)
– AmeriCorps Education Award: $3,247 (based upon successful completion of this position).
It is SCA’s policy that all AmeriCorps-required background checks must return cleared results prior to the position’s start; this includes being fingerprinted for the FBI check. Otherwise, the AmeriCorps award will be removed, or the position’s start date will be delayed due to non-compliance.
For SCA’s COVID guidance, please refer to www.thesca.org/covid.
Position ID: PO-00735089
Expected Dates: May 15, 2023 - November 12, 2023
139 Saint Gaudens Road
Cornish, NH 03745
Training Provided: May attend workshops, lectures, and other programs related to conservation and stewardship in the Park. CPR, First Aid, Defensive Driving. Orientation about the park. Orientation to sustainability, and sustainability features and procedures in a park.
Educational/Recreational Opportunities: May attend workshops, lectures, and other programs related to conservation and stewardship in the Park. CPR, First Aid, Defensive Driving, etc.
Handicap Accessible?: Yes
Main Area of Focus: Natural Resources Mgmt
AmeriCorps Eligible: Eligible
Driving Logistics: Required
Housing could be 10 minutes or more from the Park, and about 10-30 minutes to other amenities.
Housing or Stipend Provided?
C.Partner will pay the SCA to provide housing allowance for the member.
US Citizenship: No