For SCA’s COVID guidance, please refer to www.thesca.org/covid.
Come join our seasonal staff at Pecos National Historical Site in Pecos, New Mexico! Pecos National Historical Park is in the midst of piñon, juniper, and ponderosa pine woodlands of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains not far from Santa Fe, New Mexico. The park is over 6000 acres in size and the beautiful Pecos river flows through the park. This internship will work directly with the park Archaeologist and Historic Preservation crew leader. The intern will learn tasks necessary to preserve and document earthen architecture (adobe) and stone masonry ruins.
Hands-on historic preservation tasks focused on conservation of the Pecos Spanish Colonial Mission ruins, including the following:
– Making/mixing adobe bricks, mortar, and mud plaster
– Completing routine repairs to adobe brick veneers and walls
– Building adobe brick walls
– Mud plaster applications
– Building and maintaining brick and mud caps/tops of walls for protection
– Dry stacking stone walls; mortaring or repointing stone masonry mortar joints
– Completing documentation of preservation work including: scientific photography, photo logs, notes, filling out forms, and calculating materials used and areas treated
– Learning about the archaeology and preservation history of Pecos
– Carrying buckets or bricks totaling up to 40lbs
– Safe use of hand tools to build and repair walls
– Adjusting dirt fill levels by removing or adding dirt for more effective drainage
Assistance with documenting and assessing the condition of archaeological sites including:
– Filling out site forms
– Profile and plan view drawings
– Archival research concerning the archaeology and preservation of Pecos
- $1,100 – one time RT travel allowance
- $300 – weekly living allowance
- $25 – weekly commuting allowance
- $1200 – monthly housing allowance
- $3,247- AmeriCorps Education Award
- SCA recruitment and support
*All allowances subject to applicable federal, state, and local taxes
*This position is dependent on confirmation of federal funding and full execution of an agreement
Position ID: PO-00734930
Expected Dates: May 17, 2023 - October 31, 2023
1 Peach Drive
Pecos, NM 87507
Training Provided: Training in hands-on preservation techniques, focusing on adobe and stone masonry and mud plaster Documentation skills with special emphasis on photography and technical forms
Educational/Recreational Opportunities: Archaeological site tours Hiking Outdoor activities Fishing Cultural events
Main Area of Focus: Cultural/Historical Resource Mgmt
AmeriCorps Eligible: Eligible
Driving Logistics: Required
Having a car would greatly enhance a member's experience and allow them to access surrounding areas in a way they otherwise wouldn't be able to. Housing is very limited near the park but more available in Santa Fe which would require a vehicle.
Housing or Stipend Provided?
C.Partner will pay the SCA to provide housing allowance for the member.
US Citizenship: Yes