Build your hands-on preservation trades skills at Hopewell Furnace National Historic Site through projects addressing a range of preservation needs. Crew members will have the opportunity to develop their skills in several preservation trades, including cemetery and headstone restoration, carpentry, column repair, and other exterior structure repair. The ideal candidate is excited about hands-on trades work and should be able to demonstrate or discuss their interest in the preservation field. Crew members must be able to commit to the position from March 4 – August 16, with weekends and federal holidays off.
Project Location: Everson and King of Prussia, PA
Program Dates: March 4 – August 16, 2024
Member Qualifications (Essential Functions)
- Interest in historic preservation trades
- Age restrictions: 18 – 30 (or 35 for Veterans)
- Must be able to commit to project dates: March 4 – August 16, 2024
- Physical effort is heavy to moderate for this position and requires occasional lifting or handling of objects or materials up to 50 lbs, unassisted, following proper lifting procedures to avoid injury. Frequently required to stand while working, climb ladders or scaffolding, and bend, stoop, climb, and work in awkward positions
- Willing and able to use hand and power tools to complete projects
- $600 weekly living allowance
- $650 Travel Allowance to/from project site, one time
- Shared crew housing provided
- Public Land Corps Hiring Authority (at position completion)
- Transportation during projects and between project sites
- Training and networking opportunities with NPS and preservation professionals
- Opportunity to continue into additional SCA preservation trades crews following this position
*All allowances are subject to applicable federal, state, and local taxes.
- Skills Training & Support Provided:
- Painting techniques
- Cemetery preservation and headstone cleaning and repair
- General preservation maintenance
- USA Jobs Resume and application process
- Historic Preservation Fundamentals
- OSHA 10 and Lead Safe Awareness
Typically M-F, 7:30a – 4:00p. Federal Holidays Off.
It is our strong belief that equal opportunity for all members is central to the continued success of our programs. We will not discriminate against an applicant because of race, religious creed, religion, color, sex, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, age, physical disability, mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity characteristics or expressions in selections, terminations and or recommendations. Opportunity is provided to all applicants in the basis of qualifications and program requirements. Upon request, reasonable accommodations will be provided to applicants during the selection process and to members during service.
Conditions of Employment
For SCA’s COVID guidance, please refer to www.thesca.org/covid.
Position ID: PO-00736014
Expected Dates: March 4, 2024 - August 16, 2024
2 Mark Bird Ln
Elverson, PA 19520
Training Provided: USA Jobs, Public Land Corps Hiring Authority, OSHA 10, Lead Safe Awareness, Historic Preservation Fundamentals
Main Area of Focus: Cultural/Historical Resource Mgmt
AmeriCorps Eligible: Not Reviewed
Driving Logistics: Recommended
Housing or Stipend Provided?
B. Partner will pay The SCA to provide housing for the member
Shared housing usually though Airbnb or Furnished Finder. Fully furnished, kitchen supplies provided. May need to provide personal linens.