Point Iroquois Lighthouse Interns: Are you looking for an exciting, challenging, unique and deeply rewarding experience? Then consider being a lighthouse intern! This incredible opportunity is available at the Point Iroquois Lighthouse on the Great Lake Superior coastline in Michigan. The lighthouse receives 45,000+ visitors annually and is located just outside the community of Brimley, Michigan. The lighthouse is approximately 33 miles from the city of Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan. The “Soo” as it is referred to, is a full service community with schools, a hospital and a university.
Daily responsibilities of being a volunteer lighthouse intern are:
- We are looking for a 22 week commitment from approximately May 15-October 15.
- This position involves interacting with numerous visitors from all walks of life on a daily basis. Most of the interaction with visitors involves interpreting the lighthouse and Great Lakes maritime history, and answering questions in a kind and patient manner.
- This position sometimes involves physically strenuous activities including standing for long periods of time, walking the 1.2 acre grounds to talk with visitors, climbing stairs, cleaning bathrooms and the museums, brushing sidewalks, vacuuming, mowing a large lawn, weed whipping, weeding and maintaining flower beds.
- The lighthouse museum, gift shop and exhibits are open to visitors May 15th through October 15th Tuesday through Saturday 10AM-5PM
- During this busy season, interns are expected to work 40 hours a week, five days a week, Tuesday through Saturday 9;30AM until 5:30 PM.
- The living quarters are located in the west wing of the lighthouse. The quarters are available for you and you will need to sign a rental agreement. The quarters include an entrance room, a full kitchen with cooking ware, and small living room on the main floor, and two bedrooms and two bathrooms on the second floor. Electric, water, heat and basic phone are provided. WiFi is available in the museum portion of the lighthouse however, if you wanted it in the living quarters, it would be at your own cost.
- No pets of any kind permitted.
- Smoking is not permitted within or near any of the buildings belonging to the Forest Service, in accordance with Michigan state and federal law.
- Drinking alcoholic beverages in federal buildings is prohibited.
- Knowledge of the Great Lakes, lighthouses, shipping, maritime and Michigan history is preferred.
Specific day to day duties of being a lighthouse intern:
- Greeting lighthouse visitors with kindness and answering their questions will occupy 60% of your time.
- Daily operations of the museum and gift shop, working the cash register and handling credit card transactions, keeping daily money reports, making deposits, cash register check in and check out procedures, and tracking the guest sign in book will occupy approximately 10% of your time.
- Mowing, watering, and keeping a neat, weed and micro-trash free lawn, weeding and caring for flower beds will occupy 15% of your time.
- Cleaning the toilet building, lighthouse tower, gift shop, east and west wing facilities will occupy 10% of your time.
- Minor maintenance and repairs of museum, ordering supplies, filling and moving supplies will occupy 5% of your time.
- Assisting with interpretive programming, bus tours, other student interns, and volunteer projects will occupy 5% or your time.
– $300/week* Living Allowance
– $1,100* round-trip Travel Allowance, paid once
– On-site Housing
– Eligible for Public Land Corps Hiring Authority (upon completion of 640 hours work)
*All allowances subject to applicable federal, state, and local taxes.
Note: This position is not eligible for the AmeriCorps education award.
For SCA’s COVID guidance, please refer to www.thesca.org/covid.
Position ID: PO-00726183
Expected Dates: May 15, 2023 - October 15, 2023
W 1900 West US-2
Saint Ignace, MI 49781
Training Provided: taking care of a museum, gift shop sales, money handling, how to interact with the public,
Handicap Accessible?: No
Main Area of Focus: Visitor Services and Site Operations
AmeriCorps Eligible: Not Eligible
Driving Logistics: Recommended
remoteness of lighthouse to larger town for supplies
Housing or Stipend Provided?
A. Partner will provide suitable housing for the member
There are living quarters at the lighthouse. Interns will be expected to sign a rental agreement and maintain a clean tidy residence. There will be periodic inspections of living quarters.
US Citizenship: Yes