This position requires that you become enrolled in AmeriCorps. If you are selected for this program please be sure to accept AmeriCorps during the SCA offer process. No travel allowance will be offered for this position even if it is stated on your confirmation of acceptance.
Due to Covid-19, events and trainings are subject to change in response to an increase in the number of cases in the Hudson Valley region. Such changes include, but are not limited to: trainings being held remotely, requesting symptomatic members to stay home from events, and asking members to test prior to Corps gatherings.
SCA Hudson Valley AmeriCorps partners with State and non-profit agencies to address the conservation needs of the Hudson River Watershed region. Corps members are placed at individual host sites, where service activities range from providing environmental education to underserved youth, to restoring streambanks along the Hudson River, and beyond. Members join together regularly for trainings, service projects, or other events.
This position is located in Thacher State Park, near Voorheesville, NY.
Purpose of the Program:
Known for its fossils, karst topography, and towering limestone cliffs, John Boyd Thacher State Park is a unique geologic location with globally-significant formations from the Paleozoic Era. The Geology Educator will connect individuals to these valuable resources through guided school field trips, interpretive public programs, tabling events, and other educational engagements. Additionally, the Geology Educator will supplement the general educational mission of the park by providing and assisting with occasional environmental and historical interpretation programs. Members may also be required to assist with stewardship initiatives, volunteer coordination, event coordination and additional tasks as needed.
Community Needs that the Program Serves:
Thacher State Park is a significant location for the study of earth sciences. As such, it attracts thousands of students from kindergarten through college each year for a unique educational opportunity not available elsewhere. Additionally, Thacher State Park’s proximity to the cities of Albany, Schenectady, and Troy provides convenient wilderness and open space access to individuals living in urban areas.
Values and Standards of the Program:
SCA’s mission is to build the next generation of conservation leaders and inspire lifelong stewardship of the environment and communities by engaging young people in hands-on service to the land.
AmeriCorps Member Duties and Responsibilities:
The Geology Educator will have a number of responsibilities during their term, including:
- The creation and completion of educational programs focused on the park’s unique geologic features;
- The creation and completion of educational programs focused on the park’s environmental and historical qualities, as necessary;
- Assistance with ongoing stewardship projects throughout the park, including Project FeederWatch in the winter, Project NestWatch in the spring/summer, and wild parsnip removal in the summer;
- Assistance in the planning and completion of several events throughout the year, such as Historic Helderbergs Day in February, I Love My Parks Day in May, and Hawk Watch in September;
- Contributing to the ongoing educational mission of the Emma Treadwell Thacher Nature Center by answering phone calls, maintaining and updating exhibits, caring for our live animals, and completing other tasks as necessary.
SCA AmeriCorps members are encouraged to pursue development of programs and projects in their area of interest. Thacher State Park is a dynamic work environment, and SCA AmeriCorps members may be asked to assume reasonable duties and responsibilities in addition to those listed above.
How the AmeriCorps Member’s Role Aligns with the Organization:
Thacher State Park strives to provide patrons with a fulfilling recreational and educational experience. Members will further this mission by providing educational programs, assisting with events, and completing stewardship projects that directly impact patron experience throughout the park.
Performance Goals for the AmeriCorps Member:
Goal 1: Prepare and present at least two new educational or interpretive programs on the geology of Thacher State Park.
Goal 2: Directly educate, or assist with educating, at least 500 individuals across all programs and events.
Goal 3: Maintain or improve at least one mile of trail, or at least five acres of land in the park.
List any specific qualifications for AmeriCorps member:
Members must have a bachelor’s degree, preferably in Geology, Biology, Environmental Studies, Education, or related field.
- Valid drivers license for 3+ years
- Ability to pass a background check
- At least two years of college education
Skills/Knowledge/Training Necessary to be a successful AmeriCorps Member in this position:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to interact professionally with the public
- Ability to work independently or with a partner
- Baseline knowledge of the biological and earth sciences, either from coursework or experience
- A desire to work with children
- Ability to work in a flexible and fast-paced environment.
- Interest in teaching and learning about the natural world.
- A background in education is valuable, but the most important qualities to possess are enthusiasm, positive energy, and a desire to learn.
- Artistic skills in graphic design or other visual arts
Amount of the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award being offered for successful completion of the member’s term of service: $6,495
Amount of living allowance member will receive:
$350/week living allowance
$1,000/month housing allowance upstate
$1,100/month housing allowance in NYC
Healthcare coverage (if applicable)
All Hudson Valley Corps members receive Wilderness First Aid, CPR, Environmental Leadership Institute, Hudson River Citizen Science curricula, Trail Skills, Project WILD curricula, and professional development. Optional trainings include Leave No Trace, Mental Health First Aid, and other opportunities that arise.
Position ID: PO-00736097
Expected Dates: January 22, 2024 - November 18, 2024
87 Nature Center Way
Voorheesville, NY 12186
Professional Development Opportunities: The host site will offer instruction in effective methods of environmental education and interpretation and encourage intern’s obtaining additional training as available. Member will receive training in invasive plant identification and control methods.
Handicap Accessible?: No
Main Area of Focus: Education and Interpretation
AmeriCorps Eligible: Eligible
Driving Logistics: Required
The site is in a rural location therefore a personal vehicle is required to access amenities such as grocery stores, libraries, etc. as well as travel to Hudson Valley Corps trainings and events.
Housing or Stipend Provided?
A. Partner will provide suitable housing for the member
Housing is farmhouse in rural area located about 1 mile from site, shared with fellow SCA member.
US Citizenship: Yes