Naval Facilities Northwest (NAVFAC Northwest) has a terrific opportunity for a Natural Resources Intern with an emphasis on oceanography. The intern will live and work with other SCA interns, as well as working alongside Navy staff. Some projects may be performed individually and a high level of independence and flexibility is needed from the intern.
There will be a variety of potential projects, which include the following:
- Perform surveys for spawning forage fish;
- Conduct haul-out surveys of pinnipeds at Navy installations;
- Prepare marine mammal monitoring report;
- Repare forage fish survey report;
- Perform surveys for shoreline erosion, invasive plant species, and shoreline armoring;
- Assist with management / administrative efforts to remove invasive plant species;
- Participate in nearshore beach seining;
- Assist with writing natural resources management plans;
- Monitor raptor nests and document nest productivity;
- Perform GIS mapping;
- Analyses and report writing of field data;
- Marine mammal censusing;
- Mapping habitat and terrestrial wildlife inventories.
– $1,100- one time RT travel allowance
– $285 – weekly living allowance
– $1,360 monthly housing allowance (12 total) –(Backfill will receive 5 disbursements)
– $800 Reimbursable Duty Travel allowance
– $750 Reimbursable PPE/ Additional Clothing budget
*All allowances subject to applicable federal, state, and local taxes
Position ID: PO-00733642
Expected Dates: April 24, 2023 - September 9, 2023
1101 Tautog Circle
Silverdale, WA 98315
Training Provided: Intern will undergo on the job training while external training in various natural resource disciplines may be possible.
Educational/Recreational Opportunities: Recreational opportunities are plentiful in the surrounding area. Hiking, kayaking, biking, backpacking, fishing, whale watching are just the tip of the iceberg.
Handicap Accessible?: Yes
Main Area of Focus: Natural Resources Mgmt
AmeriCorps Eligible: Not Eligible
Driving Logistics: Required
Needed for access to work sites
Housing or Stipend Provided?
C.Partner will pay the SCA to provide housing allowance for the member.
US Citizenship: Yes