– Staff recreational sites in the Siuslaw National Forest, including the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area, Cape Perpetua Scenic Area, and Marys Peak Scenic Botanical Area.
– Provide information on recreational opportunities, resource significance and the role of the Forest Service in these locations.
– Research, develop, and present interpretive programs and presentations for diverse public and educational audiences.
– Represent the Forest Service at outreach events in surrounding communities and partner sites.
– Work with schools/youth organizations to create educational programs that connect youth to public lands.
– Support the work of Forest Service specialists by assisting fieldwork projects in multiple resource areas.
– Develop interpretive messages using a variety of media and technology to support Forest Service missions.
– Lead outreach efforts for threatened wildlife species and critical habitats.
– Support campground initiative to reduce human food sources and promote awareness of coastal shorebird and seabird protection.
– Connect with OHV users and other recreation groups to support Oregon Dunes restoration and Western snowy plover protection efforts.
Project Goals Include:
– Strengthen outreach and education partnerships to build lasting community connections.
– Provide crew with experience and skills relevant to future career goals.
– Promote the restoration missions of the Siuslaw National Forest in a way to strengthen public involvement.
– Increase the Forest's presence in social media, news media, blogs and original videos.
Successful candidates will demonstrate enthusiastic and effective communication skills, the ability to work with others through positive teamwork, and the ability to be flexible with work schedules and outdoor work conditions.
– $650 – one time RT travel allowance
– $350 – weekly living allowance
– $500 Duty Travel Reimbursement
– Housing on site provided
– AmeriCorps eligible
*All allowances subject to applicable federal, state, and local taxes
*For SCA's COVID-19 guidance, please refer to www.thesca.org/covid
Position ID: PO-00734854
Expected Dates: September 4, 2023 - December 10, 2023
855 Highway 101
Reedsport, OR 97467
Training Provided: Interns receive formal training which includes interpretation and learning from a variety of natural resources experts. Also on-going coaching, supervision, and opportunities to gain experiences in Forest Service career fields.
Educational/Recreational Opportunities: Surfing, canoeing, kayaking, fishing, crabbing, clamming, hiking, mushroom gathering, horseback riding, ATV riding, sand boarding, kite flying, road and mountain biking.
Handicap Accessible?: No
Main Area of Focus: Education and Interpretation
AmeriCorps Eligible: Eligible
Driving Logistics: Recommended
A government vehicle will be kept at a site a short distance away. The vehicle also provides more independence and opportunities to enjoy this region.
Housing or Stipend Provided?
A. Partner will provide suitable housing for the member
For the bunkhouses each individual has their own room but shares a living space and may share restrooms with other members. Below is a description for Sutton bunkhouse and also what to expect. The other one is about the same only a different address and located in Waldport.
Government housing for SCA interns is currently at the 8-bedroom “Sutton” unit in Florence, OR. This is a decent facility furnished with basic necessities; each bedroom has a bed, desk, and closet. There is a large kitchen, community laundry room, and a sitting area with TV. Basic kitchen supplies including tableware and a small number of pots and pans are provided; if you love to cook, you may wish to bring your own favorite tools. You are expected to supply your own bedding (twin beds) and towels. Tenants will determine amongst themselves how to coordinate cleaning supply costs, toilet paper, etc. Since this is government housing, there are some basic rules and regulations we’ll discuss with you when you arrive. There is a public pay campground next to the house for guests and sorry, no pets are allowed.
US Citizenship: No