- To positively contribute and implement the plan of constructing a new 4.5 mile trail on the undeveloped Western portion of Hawn State Park. Team member will also assist in regular trail maintenance on other trails in the park if time allows.
- Work cohesively in a 3 person team environment with limited supervision.
- Complete paperwork in a timely manner (timesheets on electronically and on paper).
- Operate a variety of hand tools, power tools and some heavy equipment including but not limited to shovels, McLeod’s, Pulaski axes, chainsaws, nail guns, circular saws, Loppers, UTVs, etc.
- Conduct all trail building and maintenance to a professional standard with the goals of stability, sustainability, and trail rating appropriateness.
- Ensure all trail work areas are finished properly and aesthetically by removing, burying, or neatly stacking all trees and large limbs, seeding and haying all disturbed dirt and the sides and backs of berms, tables, etc.
- Ensure proper signage is installed on all of the new trail, features, and drops.
- Maintains communication with Park Supervisor and makes arrangement for the maintenance and or repair of any trail sections or features reported in need of maintenance and or repair.
- Manages water drainage on trails by using sustainable trail designs which minimize erosion and enhance the sustainability of trail.
- Remove downed trees from the trail.
- Must be able to perform strenuous physical outdoor work, able to walk on uneven terrain for extended periods of time.
- Be able to perform duties in rugged terrain, lift a load 50 to 75 pounds repeatedly.
- Must be able to work in all types of weather deemed safe to work in.
- Helps: Map reading skills in the backcountry (topography).
- New Trail Construction (85%)
- Clear 4ft wide path (remove roots and grass from the path to the dirt) and install tread on a 4.5 mile trail
- Foot Bridge Construction (5%)
- Construct 3 wooden foot bridges
- Trail Maintenance (10%)
- Clear existing trail system (fallen trees and lopper back encroaching branches along 14 miles of trail
– $600/week* Living Allowance
– $1,100* To/From Travel Allowance, paid once with first paycheck
– Eligible for AmeriCorps Education Award of $1,824.07, received upon successful completion of position
*All Allowances are subject to applicable federal, state, and local taxes
Please note that housing is not provided for this position.
Position ID: PO-00735558
Expected Dates: November 6, 2023 - January 28, 2024
12096 PARK DR
SAINTE GENEVIEVE, MO 63670-8121
Handicap Accessible?: No
Main Area of Focus: Backcountry/Trail work
AmeriCorps Eligible: Eligible
Driving Logistics: Not needed
Housing or Stipend Provided?
D. No housing is available
US Citizenship: Yes