The Community Forestry Fellow placed with the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy (WPC) will participate in a full-time (40 hours per week) hands-on immersion into tree care across urban, suburban, and rural contexts. The majority of service will be outside in all weather conditions. The fellow will also provide community education on the benefits of urban tree canopy.
The fellow will be working as a part of the Community Gardens and Greenspace Department at the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy. Duties will focus on supporting the Community Forestry program projects that WPC has undertaken within Allegheny and neighboring counties. To date, WPC has planted over 38,000 trees through the TreeVitalize Pittsburgh program and other initiatives.
The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy has a strong focus on diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice across our organization. All are welcome to apply, and BIPOC candidates are encouraged to apply. Our statement on this work can be found here https://waterlandlife.org/how-we-work/diversity-inclusion/
Program Start Date: March 25, 2024
Project Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Will not be provided.
- The fellow will be responsible for:
- Assisting in tree plantings (spring and fall) & tree care activities throughout the growing season (May-August) for newly planted trees
- Tree care activities include but are not limited to:
- Tree watering, weeding, and mulching during tree establishment periods.
- Monitoring for signs of pests, disease, vandalism, and other stressors also will be required.
- Other Community Forestry projects that the fellow may assist with include tree planting events, volunteer maintenance events, collecting and updating databases or spreadsheets, assisting with event planning, and more.
- The fellow will also provide educational outreach to community members during tree planting/care events to teach the benefits of urban tree canopy. The fellow will educate an estimated 800 community members during the position.
Hours and Schedule
Typically, M-F, 7am-3pm. Saturday work should be expected to lead volunteer events. Service week will be adjusted accordingly when Saturday service is needed.
Member will serve approximately 40 hours a week for a period of 36 weeks.
Member Qualifications (Essential Functions)
** Please upload a resume to your SCA application.
- Must be eligible to serve as an AmeriCorps Member:
- Be a citizen, permanent resident, or national of the United States;
- Be at least 18 years or older;
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent or actively working to obtain one;
- Be willing to undergo National Service Criminal History Check, including criminal background, sex offender and FBI checks;
- Ability to pass SCA’s AmeriCorps criminal history background check.
**It is SCA’s policy that all AmeriCorps-required background checks must return cleared results prior to the position’s start; this includes being fingerprinted for the FBI check. Otherwise, the AmeriCorps award will be removed, or the position’s start date will be delayed due to non-compliance.
- A personal vehicle is recommended but not required. The fellow will be driving a WPC truck daily. Candidates MUST be able to pass a driving record background check.
Preferred candidates will have at least one previous full-time internship experience and a background in one or multiple of: biology, forestry, ecology, nursery care, landscaping, tree plantings and tree care, farming, urban planning, or a related field. Successful candidates will demonstrate an ability to positively collaborate in a tight team in a hands-on workplace and an ability to adapt to daily project execution needs.
- Living allowance: $600/week living allowance (pre-tax)*
- $650 one-time travel allowance (pre-tax)*
- AmeriCorps Education Award-eligible of $4,826.50 upon successful completion of service.*
- AmeriCorps Member Assistance Program
- Childcare coverage (if applicable): Eligible for childcare assistance through AmeriCorps
- Student loan forbearance and interest payments, (if the member qualifies): Eligible for Federal Student Loan forbearance and interest payment deferment through AmeriCorps for qualifying student loans
- Access to a national network of professional resources and a peer group
- Trainings provided:
- Tree biology, tree identification, planting techniques, basic tree maintenance practices, and volunteer and data management
- Tool safety, job hazard assessment, and safe driving
- AmeriCorps 101 and Prohibited Activities, suspension and termination policy
- AmeriCorps Members Service Agreement- Drug Free Workplace, Code of Conduct, Grievance Procedures, Disability Inclusion, Non-Discrimination
- Life After AmeriCorps- resume building, applying for jobs etc.
- SCA Urban Green Cohort Professional Development
- Justice, Equity, Diversity, Inclusion
- Sexual Harassment & Maintaining a Positive Workplace
- Risk Management 101
*All allowances are subject to applicable federal, state, and local taxes.
2024 Tentative Schedule
*Please note – this is a tentative schedule.
- 3/25/2024 – 3/29/2024: National Direct Program (Virtual) Orientation & On-Site Training
- 4/1/2024 – 11/22/2024: Field Season & Continuing Training
- 11/25/2024 – 11/29/2024: Last week of service & Final wrap up
This position is part of a specialized SCA AmeriCorps program and if you are selected, you will be serving as an SCA AmeriCorps member.
It is our strong belief that equal opportunity for all members is central to the continued success of our programs. We will not discriminate against an applicant because of race, religious creed, religion, color, sex, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, age, physical disability, mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity characteristics or expressions in selections, terminations and or recommendations. Opportunity is provided to all applicants in the basis of qualifications and program requirements. Upon request, reasonable accommodations will be provided to applicants during the selection process and to members during service.
Conditions of Employment
For SCA’s COVID guidance, please refer to www.thesca.org/covid.
Position ID: PO-00736241
Expected Dates: March 25, 2024 - November 29, 2024
800 Waterfront Drive
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
Main Area of Focus: Natural Resources Mgmt
AmeriCorps Eligible: Eligible
Driving Logistics: Recommended
To get to and from the office and some volunteer events.
Housing or Stipend Provided?
C.Partner will pay the SCA to provide housing allowance for the member.